Scotland is a bigger economic basket case than Greece: Country would have to double basic rate of income tax to tackle its public spending deficit
Scotland's public spending deficit is higher than Greece’s and tackling it would mean doubling the basic rate of income tax or VAT, campaigners have warned.
Research shows the Scottish deficit is now at 9.5 per cent of GDP – the highest rate of the European Union nations and double the rate of the UK as a whole.
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon wants Scotland to rejoin the EU following the Brexit vote, but a report claims that its economy would struggle to meet the stringent entry criteria.
The Taxpayers’ Alliance said that its deficit would have to be plugged to a more sustainable... read more
- 03:29 Asia stocks ease, dollar steadies after Fed-led losses
- 03:29 Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life is possible
- 03:26 Qantas profits buffeted by competition headwinds
- 03:26 SK Hynix CEO says will consider fresh bid for Toshiba chip unit stake
- 03:16 Aston Villa's slump: The Championship form table says it all for...
- 03:01 North Korea blames Malaysia for death of its citizen - KCNA
- 02:58 Rick and Morty troll fans everywhere with first teaser for season 3
- 02:57 'How my mother's organ donations brought new friendships'
- 02:57 Rainbow babies: The children bringing hope after loss
- 02:51 Fruit and veg: For a longer life eat 10 a day
- 02:48 Courts to ban cross-examination of victims by abusers
- 02:45 Civilians start fleeing homes after west Mosul offensive begins
- 02:36 Sniper Elite 4: How to get the perfect shot in the new gaming...
- 02:35 Nikkei drops led weaker by financials after U.S. yields fall
- 02:35 Adopted Romanian orphans 'still suffering in adulthood'
- 02:34 Parish council tax bills rise despite squeeze
- 02:33 New Trump travel ban delayed until next week, White House says
- 01:58 'Our favourite prey' Christian father & son ‘brutally burnt alive &...
- 01:58 Russia to target MERKEL? Putin builds model of GERMAN PARLIAMENT...
- 01:49 Anthony Joshua calls on heavyweight rival Deontay Wilder to face...
- 01:49 Paul Pogba and his brother Florentin make the family proud once...
- 01:41 Drivers have been warned to avoid these Midlands motorways during...
- 01:37 Donald Trump ‘DELAYS’ new ‘immigration ban’ order as he plans to...
- 01:32 The Indian politician with the reputation of a Bond villain
- 01:30 Indian sungazers keep up family tradition for four generations
- 01:28 Naomie Harris: What getting an OBE means to me
- 01:27 Earl Hays Press: Where Hollywood gets fake money and newspapers
- 01:27 Women and film: Is it still a man's world behind the camera?
- 01:27 A guided tour of the cybercrime underground
- 01:27 Jack Barsky: The KGB spy who lived the American dream