Scotland is a bigger economic basket case than Greece: Country would have to double basic rate of income tax to tackle its public spending deficit
Scotland's public spending deficit is higher than Greece’s and tackling it would mean doubling the basic rate of income tax or VAT, campaigners have warned.
Research shows the Scottish deficit is now at 9.5 per cent of GDP – the highest rate of the European Union nations and double the rate of the UK as a whole.
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon wants Scotland to rejoin the EU following the Brexit vote, but a report claims that its economy would struggle to meet the stringent entry criteria.
The Taxpayers’ Alliance said that its deficit would have to be plugged to a more sustainable... read more
- 15:32 Winter Olympics digest: Team GB coach branded a ‘traitor curler’
- 15:32 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:32 Mansfield man’s “terrifying” attack on ex-partner
- 15:31 RAF Tornado's night flight pictured over Leeds
- 15:31 E-fit released in hunt for South Yorkshire burglars who threatened...
- 15:31 New Peugeot 508 2018 LEAKED pictures reveal car’s major redesign
- 15:30 Troy: Fall of a City: Who was King Priam? Was the Trojan king real?
- 15:30 Stand down – Ed Sheeran isn’t married despite wearing ‘wedding ring’
- 15:30 ‘When I think about him touching me, my flesh crawls’ Worksop man...
- 15:30 Welcome to Halifax: 'The Shoreditch of the North'
- 15:30 Mansfield man’s “terrifying” attack on ex-partner
- 15:29 Mansfield man’s “terrifying” attack on ex-partner
- 15:29 Agent admits Manchester United target Jorginho could leave Napoli
- 15:29 Victor Lindelof 'wants reassurances from Jose Mourinho over his...
- 15:29 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:28 RAF Tornado's night flight pictured over Leeds
- 15:28 MPs endorse Labour council candidate who claimed ISIS doesn't exist
- 15:28 Travellers finally move on from Ellesmere Port Sports Village car park
- 15:25 RAF Tornado's night flight pictured over Leeds
- 15:25 Jeremy Wright MP urging Home Office to change mind on cannabis...
- 15:24 Five ways your local pharmacy can help your child 'stay well'
- 15:24 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:24 Whitehaven Town Council to debate extreme protection measures
- 15:23 Lost Broadway songs make the stage at last
- 15:23 New driver jailed after crash caused death of two women from Spalding
- 15:22 Woman dies after nine-hour ambulance wait
- 15:22 Rail commuter who lost legs in fall has £1.9m claim rejected
- 15:22 What is the Windsor hum and is it really US Steel’s fault?
- 15:22 Samsung Galaxy S9 smartphone images leaked by MWC app
- 15:21 M62 Ainley Top shooting trial delayed by seven more months