Scientists hope to harvest ‘wonder drug’ from potatoes
Imagine a substance with the potential to fight cancer, Aids, osteoporosis and heart disease, as well as curing ulcers, healing wounds and killing drug-resistant bacteria.
Scottish agricultural scientists are investigating the possibility of extracting the compound, called solanesol, from the leftover leaves of potato harvests, which are usually burnt off or dumped.
The chemical is already a key component in the manufacture of coenzyme Q10, which is used in beauty products to combat the appearance of ageing.
Now studies are under way to establish its full powers.
Solanesol is found in... read more
- 14:45 Two women kidnapped teens at knifepoint before one threatened to...
- 14:45 Fury as travellers move into Birmingham SCHOOL with caravan convoy
- 14:45 Waitrose is now offering an Easter TREE - and people are so...
- 14:45 Jose Mourinho blasts Leicester flops after Claudio Ranieri is sacked
- 14:45 Oscars 2017: Casey Affleck 'will WIN Best Actor' despite scandal &...
- 14:45 Bank staff donate £20,000 to hospice
- 14:45 The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild hands-on preview – eye-opener
- 14:45 Doncaster cage fighter creates history with photo shoot for gay...
- 14:44 Saudi King Salman launches investment drive with Asia tour
- 14:44 ‘Can you hear me?’ - Lincolnshire residents warned to hang up on...
- 14:44 Vehicle fire closes A38
- 14:44 Bungling burglar in pushbike getaway
- 14:43 England train ahead of Six Nations clash with Italy as coach Eddie...
- 14:43 When is The Get Down season 1 part 2 out? Netflix release date,...
- 14:42 Seating to be added to more than half of Sheffield's tram stops
- 14:41 Atherstone Ball Game top ten funky facts...
- 14:41 Lord Waddington dies aged 87
- 14:41 Burglars steal jewellery during raid on Northampton home
- 14:40 Why we should all be having sex breaks at work
- 14:40 Architect appointed for new food and drink hub at Melton market
- 14:40 F1 2017: New Ferrari and McLarens revealed ahead of first test
- 14:40 Drone had near miss with jet over Derby
- 14:39 Woman dies in flat fire
- 14:39 JAILED: Drug and gambling addict caused brought misery to train...
- 14:39 Moyes on his best Everton FC signing and Koeman
- 14:38 US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall St opens lower as finance, tech weighs
- 14:38 Boko Haram and famine hit efforts to rebuild lives in Nigeria's...
- 14:38 Jurgen Klopp discusses Liverpool’s £50m move: This is the situation
- 14:38 Meet the £250k home cinema that costs more than the average house...
- 14:38 Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho: This is what I think about...