Scientists hope to harvest ‘wonder drug’ from potatoes
Imagine a substance with the potential to fight cancer, Aids, osteoporosis and heart disease, as well as curing ulcers, healing wounds and killing drug-resistant bacteria.
Scottish agricultural scientists are investigating the possibility of extracting the compound, called solanesol, from the leftover leaves of potato harvests, which are usually burnt off or dumped.
The chemical is already a key component in the manufacture of coenzyme Q10, which is used in beauty products to combat the appearance of ageing.
Now studies are under way to establish its full powers.
Solanesol is found in... read more
- 12:22 Pakistan flight crashes in north
- 12:20 Manchester United ace Marouane Fellaini blasts David Luiz for...
- 12:20 KH Hair boss honoured by Fellowship for British Hairdressing
- 12:19 Yorkshire Tea...isn't from Yorkshire?!
- 12:18 Shuttleworth's Year 7 student ambassadors taking charge
- 12:18 Swan rescued from Odeon cinema in Bolebridge Street, Tamworth
- 12:17 Chellaston police meeting at Bonnie Prince pub with free drinks up...
- 12:17 The Santa Tracker is back – and it’s even better than last year!
- 12:17 Britain needs Brexit transitional deal - insurance trade body
- 12:16 There's a new sheriff in town! Basketball legend Shaquille O'Neal...
- 12:15 Tata steel and unions to meet over deal to save thousands of jobs
- 12:15 New £5 notes engraved with Jane Austin worth £50,000 circulated in...
- 12:14 Cumbrian department store closed after power cut
- 12:13 Woman raped by fiance as she was having an epileptic seizure
- 12:12 Gas alert at Lancashire nuclear plant
- 12:12 New £5 notes engraved with Jane Austin worth £50,000 circulated in...
- 12:12 Poorly Hartlepool baby’s plight inspires big fundraising drive
- 12:12 Help by the trolley load for Hartlepool Foodbank
- 12:11 Steve Ross: Big data still needs the human touch
- 12:11 Pep Guardiola’s next generation: The dream team of Manchester City...
- 12:11 Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish gives Alan Pardew vote of...
- 12:11 India unexpectedly keeps rates unchanged even as cash crunch roils...
- 12:11 Angel Di Maria booed at every touch by furious PSG fans and rated...
- 12:11 Police to wear body-worn cameras
- 12:10 British and Irish Lions coaches revealed: Warren Gatland confirms...
- 12:10 Air Force One - why is it so expensive?
- 12:11 Tournament of a lifetime for football-mad boy
- 12:10 Santa’s real life little helper
- 12:10 Adventurer set for challenge in Antarctica after climbing Nepal’s...
- 12:10 Police step up patrols after man is assaulted