Schools obesity crisis as 100,000 Year 6 kids classed overweight
A shocking 108,000 West Midlands children have started secondary school overweight or obese in the last five years.
The startling statistics were released following the launch of a new Cancer Research UK campaign aimed at highlighting the link between obesity and cancer.
They show that 21,207 Year 6 children were severely overweight in 2010/11, with the figure increasing to 22,726 for 2014/15.
Obese children are around FIVE times more likely to become obese adults. Carrying too much weight increases the risk of cancer as well as other diseases.
Being overweight or obese is the second... read more
- 08:38 Bigger fines for speeding drivers are coming into force today
- 08:38 Appeal after hay bale set alight in Notts field
- 08:37 Education trust makes appointment on its board
- 08:37 New driving rules are coming into force TODAY - here's what you...
- 08:37 Events are springing up for all the family
- 08:37 Health officials to pass on expertise to help other trusts
- 08:37 On the move: Latest appointments and promotions
- 08:36 Dele Alli: Tottenham beating Chelsea was the best moment of the season
- 08:36 Lionel Messi: Did you see what Barcelona superstar did to wind up...
- 08:35 How to get two hours FREE parking in string of town centres
- 08:35 Transfer rumour: West Brom interested in Tottenham defender this...
- 08:34 Arsenal starting XI if only locals could play: This line-up is...
- 08:34 General Election 2017: Energy bill cap 'will hit consumers'
- 08:34 A19 at a standstill after seven vehicle crash
- 08:34 Rugby League LIVE - Hull FC stars set to be named in England squad,...
- 08:34 South Korea presidential candidate Ahn seeks to restart six-party...
- 08:33 No-one is safe from cyber criminals warns leading security expert
- 08:33 Fire crews called to fire at derelict building in Warwick
- 08:32 Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique in dressing room incident after...
- 08:32 Kylian Mbappe will be playing for this club next season - Monaco chief
- 08:32 Transfer News: £120m Chelsea spree, Alexis Sanchez claim, La Liga...
- 08:32 Lionel Messi scores 500th Barcelona goal as Real Madrid beaten in...
- 08:31 Watch world-famous Flying Scotsman celebrate past, present and...
- 08:31 A19 at a standstill after seven vehicle crash
- 08:31 Decision day for Birchwood Leisure Centre £1m revamp
- 08:30 No-one is safe from cyber criminals warns leading security expert
- 08:30 Calderdale students are shown the horrors of the Holocaust
- 08:30 Missing girl, 12, found
- 08:30 Emerging markets could help lift German engineering this year
- 08:30 Missing Halifax girl found safe and well