Schoolboy denies delivering fatal blow in Leith street brawl where junior footballer was mortally injured
A schoolboy accused of causing the death of Shaun Woodburn told police he been the victim of assaults during the incident.
The 17-year-old claimed a street disturbance outside a Leith bar on New Year’s Day had been started by racist abuse being shouted at his friend.
Woodburn, 30, died from the injuries suffered in an incident outside Gladstones Bar at about 2am on New Year’s Day. Mohammed Zakariyah, 18, of Gilmerton Dykes Grove, Edinburgh and the 17-year-old are accused of murder.
They are also accused of assaults and disorder across Edinburgh the same night and deny all the charges.
In a... read more
- 13:45 Chilling video shows toddler scaling ‘unclimbable’ swimming pool...
- 13:44 There's better news on the jobs front for Coventry and Warwickshire
- 13:44 Get the barbecue out - Mediterranean plume to sweep Britain
- 13:44 Crimes which shook Leicestershire - and some remain unsolved
- 13:42 Óscar Tabárez: unbowed by illness and adding beauty to Uruguay’s grit
- 13:41 Blood-sucking flies to toxic caterpillars: the insects set to swarm...
- 13:41 'Near miss' road incident sees Ashby farm's illegal business...
- 13:39 Edible coating allows avocados to stay ripe for twice as long
- 13:39 Government will review ban on cannabis for medicinal use
- 13:39 Paul Williams MP: ‘We need to transfer power from hospitals to GPs’
- 13:38 Medicinal cannabis use to be reviewed by government
- 13:38 'County will rise above gloomy predictions'
- 13:38 Subway aims for 75 new outlets in North West
- 13:37 Linton Bridge reopens to traffic after closurer
- 13:36 Siblings in six-month challenge after dad's cancer diagnosis
- 13:35 Wave of support for school's ban on parents wearing pyjamas
- 13:35 Super League side Hull Kingston Rovers team up with Coventry Bears
- 13:35 Former Coventry City goalkeeper signs up at League One rivals
- 13:35 When are Coventry City's 2018-19 League One fixtures announced?
- 13:35 When does the transfer window close in summer 2018 - all you need...
- 13:32 Mum accused of biting woman's finger off in garden fight says trial...
- 13:32 Secret to happiness is to live in a big city like London or New York
- 13:31 Burton Albion's record on the opening day as EFL fixture release...
- 13:30 'Commie cadet' who wore Che Guevara T-shirt kicked out of US army
- 13:29 Green giant: can Glasgow's new School of Art eclipse Mackintosh's...
- 13:27 Daunting start for Hoppers in National League
- 13:27 Leeds ‘UFO’ likened to Death Star makes national headlines
- 13:26 The UK could legalise medicinal cannabis after major government review
- 13:26 Roofer Ashley Wilkes jailed for killing much-loved dad Christopher...
- 13:25 Tributes to 'lovely' 21-year-old whose death sparked police murder...