Say yes to a Mediterranean diet to cut the risk of heart disease and stroke
According to researchers at the University of Cambridge more than 12 per cent of deaths caused by cardiovascular disease could be avoided by changes to diet.
The study was the first of its kind to look into the real-world benefits of such a diet in the UK.
Over 12 to 17 years, 24,000 people in Norfolk were surveyed.
The Mediterranean diet is about eating a wide variety of food groups and eating them in moderation.
Fresh fish, lentils, fresh fruit and vegetables, low-fat dairy, and red meat in moderation all contribute to a reduced risk of dying from heart disease.
Factors such as being a... read more
- 08:48 West Cumbria roads blocked due to crash
- 08:47 Recommending e-cigarettes to help smokers quit is irresponsible...
- 08:47 Things to do in Birmingham on May Bank Holiday weekend
- 08:47 Donald Trump thanks Kanye West after rapper expresses 'love' for...
- 08:47 West Brom transfer rumour: Italian interest in Nacer Chadli
- 08:46 TSB drafts in outside help to fix IT chaos
- 08:44 Police set to target illegal parking at Derbyshire beauty spot as...
- 08:44 Diego Simeone names the Arsenal star he fears most ahead of Europa...
- 08:43 Prince Alexander now favourite in William and Kate’s baby name odds
- 08:43 Labour drops candidate who doubts Manchester and Jo Cox tragedies...
- 08:43 WATCH: Deontay Wilder offers Anthony Joshua £35m for unification...
- 08:43 Real Madrid star makes BIZARRE claim about Barcelona fans favourite
- 08:42 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:42 ALERT: Anti-freeze being used to poison pets in this Sheffield suburb
- 08:42 VIDEO: Greggs opens TODAY at Sheffield's newest retail park - and...
- 08:40 Double call out after concerns for people on wrong side of railings...
- 08:40 Supply problems for Sunderland homes and traffic disruption after...
- 08:40 Banbury campaigners hit out at ‘secret’ health planning group
- 08:40 Sunderland counts £844,000
- 08:40 Northern Lights: Our future needs Chinese as well as British...
- 08:39 Sheffield-based animal rescue in crisis and could close
- 08:39 ALERT: Anti-freeze being used to poison pets in this Sheffield suburb
- 08:39 Durham coach looking forward to seeing Aiden Markram show his talents
- 08:39 Epic sounding Manchester band kicking off tour in Leeds
- 08:38 West Cumbria road blocked due to crash
- 08:38 Vic infection rates better than average
- 08:38 Zinedine Zidane sends warning to Real Madrid players after Bayern...
- 08:37 Kate Bush revisits Wuthering Heights to create new work of art in...
- 08:37 Mohamed Salah sends class message to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain after...
- 08:36 Man airlifted to hospital after crash on Ironstone Road in Burntwood