Say goodbye to Dippy with special Jurassic Park screening at the Natural History Museum
Just when you thought 2016 couldn’t get any worse, we’re now being forced to say a final farewell to Dippy the Diplodocus, who’s stood in the main hall of the Natural History Museum to greet visitors since 1979.
The plaster dinosaur was presented to the museum (arriving in London in 36 packing cases) in 1905.
Apparently, he’s no longer relevant to what’s happening in the natural world today. Well, no, he’s a dinosaur.
He’s being replaced by a 83ft-long real skeleton of a blue whale. We still haven’t really come to terms with it, to be honest.
Anyway, whether we like it or not, Dippy leaves... read more
- 11:12 Escaped murderer Shaun Walmsley manhunt live: updates on search for...
- 11:12 Jo Cox’s husband calls for ‘massive party to show our unity’
- 11:12 Sergio Aguero promises Pep Guardiola he will make the sacrifice Man...
- 11:12 Matt Smith talks Man City's Youth Cup strength and 'amazing' first...
- 11:11 Keegan Downer: Murdered toddler 'invisible to professionals'
- 11:11 When Hebrideans were offered a new start in Norway
- 11:10 People are now getting freckles tattooed on their faces
- 11:10 Jamie Foxx 'target of racial slur' in Croatian restaurant
- 11:10 Fergus Ewing repeats warning over ticking Brexit clock
- 11:09 Court round-up: The latest cases from the region's courts
- 11:10 Royal Navy recruit from South Shields sails through first training...
- 11:09 VIDEO: Polish supermarket Tradycja opens up in Hanley
- 11:09 VIDEO: Peek inside Yates in Newcastle after £390k refurbishment
- 11:09 Stoke City news and transfer rumours LIVE: Bojan can go, Nzonzi is...
- 11:09 VIDEO: British Gas distribution hub hailed as its ‘jewel in the crown’
- 11:09 Musical ‘craze’ that didn’t die
- 11:08 Grandmother's desperate battle to stop Pit Bull killing her beloved...
- 11:07 Two men suffered head injuries following incident outside...
- 11:07 Fewest Londoners moving house since 1991, reports CML
- 11:07 Majority pay up as litter campaign still a priority
- 11:07 Hunters who accidentally shot one another blamed illegal immigrants
- 11:07 Scientists find the one key sign that you might be a really...
- 11:07 Mum who vomits up to 15 times an hour says rare illness has ruined...
- 11:06 Great entertainers: Which clubs have won the most Premier League...
- 11:06 Police release CCTV images after man attacked boy, 14, at bus stop
- 11:06 The best Easter egg in Britain is apparently a £15 one from Tesco
- 11:05 Chelsea will learn if they’ve landed Sead Kolasinac ‘soon’ says agent
- 11:04 Kodi: What's legal and what isn't
- 11:04 Hate crime victims urged to contact South Yorkshire Police
- 11:02 Hundreds of jobs up for grabs at major Derby jobs fair at The Spot...