Savings could be under threat if banks go bust and proposal by European bureaucrats to prevent withdrawal of money by weeks is given go ahead
A safety net that protects the public’s cash during bank failures is under threat from European Union bureaucrats.
The first €100,000 of a customer’s savings are protected under EU law when a lender goes bust – meaning there is no risk the cash will be lost.
But officials have backed a shake-up of the rules which could prevent customers withdrawing their money for months. At present, they are entitled to all their money in seven working days.
It could affect thousands of British savers who put money in to some of the best-paying High Street accounts – as they are offered by banks which hold... read more
- 15:12 Police release E-fit of suspect after man is robbed on Doncaster...
- 15:11 Bassetlaw woman bought drugs at Christmas then forgot about them
- 15:10 Sheridan desperate for Fleetwood to end Highbury horror run against...
- 15:10 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:10 In-form Fleetwood will have Cobblers boss Hasselbaink guessing
- 15:09 Changes to be made to bus stops and parking
- 15:09 FBI hunting for tattooed fugitive with DORK inked on his neck
- 15:08 Trophy success at double for cadets
- 15:08 Firm completes sale and leaseback deal
- 15:09 First World War hero George Peachment to be remembered in £8.5...
- 15:08 Thunder gets on board with Moody
- 15:08 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:09 Magpie Recipe: Hake, wild mushroom, wild garlic & sherry cream
- 15:08 Prestigious award for franchisee
- 15:08 Training new generation of technologists
- 15:08 Two pharma companies collaborate
- 15:08 Containers given a new life on shore
- 15:07 Kirkby biker led cops on chase
- 15:07 Sutton man caught with drugs in motoring arrest
- 15:07 Thieves target ATM at Banbury Co-op 'with exploding foam'
- 15:07 Burton Albion players deliver coaching sessions at Stanton School...
- 15:06 Prison sentence quashed for Sutton Bridge man caught with indecent...
- 15:06 Manhunt launched after 59 burglaries across the region including...
- 15:06 Spen cadets know the drill
- 15:06 We think this teenager may have failed her driving test
- 15:05 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:05 Inspector Darren McKie guilty of wife's murder
- 15:05 Premier League big six transfer spend by position: Where has all...
- 15:05 Revealed: What these 6 common stomach pains mean and how to fix...
- 15:04 Prezzo to shut 94 restaurants with 500 jobs axed