Savers stuck with poor pension incomes after government scraps plan to let retirees sell annuities
Plans to let pensioners sell their pension incomes in return for cash have been scrapped, the government has announced.
The proposals would have allowed as many as five million retirees with annuities to sell them on through a secondary annuity market.
It would have been a lifeline for savers trapped for life in poor-value deals. Some pensioners are getting only a few pounds a week where a lump sum would be much more useful.
Annuities pay a regular retirement income for life and are bought by workers on retirement with their pension funds.
However they have long been criticised for being... read more
- 07:17 East Northants residents may be asked to pay to save Oundle library
- 07:16 Philip Gane: Planting the seed of inner-city farming
- 07:17 Dancing on Ice Live Tour
- 07:16 Andrea Nicholas: Tourism businesses giving the green light to...
- 07:15 This giant new M&S food hall and cafe is opening near IKEA
- 07:15 Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder reveals why Che Adams had to...
- 07:14 Arsenal’s £40m bid for Karim Benzema laughed off as embarrassing by...
- 07:14 Arsenal v Burnley: Paul Merson reveals his prediction for the...
- 07:13 It's Santa hats off to a warm welcome for Rosemere dashers
- 07:13 Foden feels fans will play massive part for 'underperforming' Saints
- 07:13 Doctor Who: Tom Baker is back as the Time Lord
- 07:12 'Please don't move my sick gran from HRI to Calderdale'
- 07:11 Hull Live: Breaking News, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 07:09 Cummins workers say they’ve been ‘betrayed’
- 07:09 'Women are pissed': Trump rage turns to action – and surge in...
- 07:07 BBC weather: Nick Miller warns viewers to brace themselves for...
- 07:06 Woodville paedophile admits making hundreds of indecent images of...
- 07:05 Being sexually assaulted can have long term physical effects
- 07:05 The Dean’s Reflection column with the Very Rev John Dobson
- 07:05 BPL live stream: How to watch the Bangladesh Premier League live...
- 07:05 Lionel Messi revelations emerge about Real Madrid decision... did...
- 07:05 Arsenal news: Jack Wilshere provides update on Gunners future
- 07:04 Mitsubishi Materials shares fall on fake data scandal
- 07:03 Drug-addict stole cosmetics from chemist’s while waiting for his...
- 07:03 Cameras head out to 21 Derbyshire routes to snare speeders
- 07:03 'Derbyshire has the best roads in the country'
- 07:03 Guinea pigs abandoned in Derbyshire woodland
- 07:03 Boozed-up man deflated police car tyre as officers treated his...
- 07:03 CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Derbyshire police want to speak to these people
- 07:03 The best Black Friday deals 2017