Savers stuck with poor pension incomes after government scraps plan to let retirees sell annuities
Plans to let pensioners sell their pension incomes in return for cash have been scrapped, the government has announced.
The proposals would have allowed as many as five million retirees with annuities to sell them on through a secondary annuity market.
It would have been a lifeline for savers trapped for life in poor-value deals. Some pensioners are getting only a few pounds a week where a lump sum would be much more useful.
Annuities pay a regular retirement income for life and are bought by workers on retirement with their pension funds.
However they have long been criticised for being... read more
- 11:27 Man charged with phone possession in HMP Ranby
- 11:27 SCAM ALERT: Do not click on this email
- 11:27 EU launches new investigation into Chinese steel imports
- 11:27 FTSE gains, on track for best week since July
- 11:26 Kirkham makes Labour switch
- 11:25 MANNEQUIN CHALLENGE: Police and firefighters film video to...
- 11:24 FESTIVE BONANZA DAY 12: Win a fantastic touchscreen laptop worth £150
- 11:24 Strictly: Len Goodman 'doesn't know' who many contestants are
- 11:24 Nine things NOT to do at your work Christmas party
- 11:24 BREAKING: Dutch right-winger Geert Wilders found guilty in hate...
- 11:23 FCA says to toughen up crowdfunding rules
- 11:22 Number of Blackpool children in care is 'off the scale'
- 11:22 Vince the tortoise can walk again thanks to a snazzy Lego wheel
- 11:21 Siblings switch on Beadnell’s lights
- 11:21 A feast of songs and beaming smiles
- 11:21 Holidays are coming ... and so are your South Yorkshire Coca Cola...
- 11:21 Chesterfield Royal doctor asks patients to think twice about using...
- 11:21 MANNEQUIN CHALLENGE: Police and firefighters film video to...
- 11:21 Chelsea can live up to favourites tag, Eden Hazard and Alexis...
- 11:21 Premier League team news, odds and stats from every match ahead of...
- 11:19 Mum fought to keep career hopes alive
- 11:18 Police to contact MP Michelle Thomson over rape ordeal at 14
- 11:18 Mystery 'send nudes' sign lit up across the city
- 11:18 Liam Payne slams Louis Walsh over comments about Cheryl
- 11:18 Telford man, 68, charged with having sex with girl under 13 and...
- 11:18 Arson investigation launched after Northampton school was evacuated...
- 11:17 FTSE gains, on track for best week since July
- 11:17 Web shoppers warned over Facebook Marketplace fraud
- 11:17 David Luiz hints he’s ready to take over from Chelsea great John Terry
- 11:17 In-form Chelsea star Victor Moses reveals Antonio Conte picked him...