Saudi prince says women SHOULD be allowed to drive as it’s NECESSARY
Alwaleed bin Talal, 61, said the current situation was backwards, not just in terms of civil rights but also from a financial point of view.
He posted a letter on Twitter yesterday calling for an end to the long-standing ban.
He said: “It’s high time that Saudi women started driving their cars.
“Preventing a woman from driving a car today is an issue of rights similar to the one that forbade her from receiving an education or having an independent identity.”
He said driving was no longer a “social luxury” but “a necessity” - and also highlighted the financial benefits.
Allowing women to... read more
- 07:54 Join Skegness school for 40th anniversary June Day Jaunt celebration
- 07:53 Arsenal transfer news LIVE updates: Lacazette latest, Mbappe hope,...
- 07:53 Travellers pitch up on Myton Fields again
- 07:50 Henry Onyekuru gets UK visa after Arsenal agree £6.8m transfer fee...
- 07:49 Former Coventry City defender Blair Adams joins Hartlepool United
- 07:49 Video 5 of 5: Heatwave a boost for Grantham Carnival
- 07:44 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 07:43 Peter O'Mahony's journey from the back pitches of his local club in...
- 07:43 New Zealand vs British and Irish Lions LIVE: Follow all the action...
- 07:41 The biggest fee paid in every Premier League summer transfer window...
- 07:41 Colwyn Bay promenade development countdown as school holiday looms
- 07:41 These are the road closures for Cycle Live Nottingham this weekend
- 07:34 La Liga stadiums ranked by capacity: Which grounds are biggest?
- 07:27 Care home in Ellesmere Port is shut after family's audio recording...
- 07:26 Lindisfarne Oysters seeks new customers
- 07:26 Conservation work under way at Holy Island church
- 07:25 Visa refusal leaves mother and toddler 4,000 miles apart
- 07:25 UK's first heart pump targets 2018 clinical trial
- 07:21 Gareth Shaw: Finance fraudsters exploit gap in the rules
- 07:21 Glasgow Jazz Festival: Neil Cowley Trio | Mezcla
- 07:21 St Magnus Festival: The Story of Magnus Erlendsson | Edinbugh Quartet
- 07:21 Theatre: Death of a Salesman
- 07:21 Edinburgh International Film Festival
- 07:17 It is a bad time of year for hayfever sufferers but these tips...
- 07:15 Birdwatch: Remarkable year for spoonbills
- 07:15 Wolds Diary: A sunset worth stopping for
- 07:13 Man City and Tottenham in negotiations for Kyle Walker and more...
- 07:13 Marcus Rashford's Manchester United role models were ignored by...
- 07:09 Have you seen this Northampton woman today? Police ask missing...
- 07:06 Quiz: Can you guess this villain from Buffy The Vampire Slayer?