Sat-nav maps update aims to prevent stuck lorries
A multi-million pound sat-nav project aims to stop lorries and other vehicles getting stuck in narrow lanes and under low-lying bridges on UK routes.
Ordnance Survey is creating a database that will contain information about 200,000 miles (321,869km) of roadways to prevent such accidents.
The Transport Secretary Andrew Jones said the digital facility would launch before the end of the year.
But sat-nav makers will need to pay to get access to the full data.
"The new database will provide the sat-nav manufacturers with the ability to make journeys for HGV [heavy goods vehicle] drivers... read more
- 13:21 YP Letters: Council out of touch with transport realities
- 13:21 YP Letters: Single market no barrier to global trade
- 13:21 Aston Martin RapidE to spearhead zero-emissions push
- 13:20 Yoga trapeze gets off to a flying start in Sheffield
- 13:19 Can you legally drive barefoot or in flip flops? This is the law
- 13:19 The cashpoint celebrates 50th birthday - here are 50 facts you need...
- 13:19 Monarchy to get big taxpayer pay rise - are they worth it?
- 13:19 Cristiano Ronaldo rethinks Real Madrid exit and Gareth Bale faces...
- 13:19 Police seek owners of items found at South Yorkshire service station
- 13:18 Airbus unveils futuristic helicopter which can fly 250mph - but is...
- 13:18 Drive My Bessa-carr and You Haxey Thing - Yorkshire water urges...
- 13:18 £6,000 donated to robot appeal to thank life-saving neurosurgeon
- 13:17 Burton Albion fans can buy their priority memberships from the club...
- 13:16 NHS staff celebrate after winning two national awards
- 13:16 Aberdeen complete Greg Stewart loan deal as Birmingham City striker...
- 13:16 Plunge in UK confidence hits Debenhams, adds to slowdown fears
- 13:16 How Man City player Aleksandar Kolarov has become the club's great...
- 13:15 UPDATE 1-Russia's Sistema faces $255 mln dividend shortfall - analysts
- 13:15 French parliament opens in test for Macron's many novice lawmakers
- 13:14 'It's Trump's hair!' Bizarre feathery critter spotted in Brazil...
- 13:14 Newly discovered and endangered: The Blue-winged Amazon parrot has...
- 13:14 Hector Bellerin next? 13 players Arsenal sold too soon
- 13:14 At least 42 Isis prisoners killed in air strike on jihadi-run jail...
- 13:14 Unbelievable moment bus ploughs into man but he walks away
- 13:13 Teacher at Sunderland school wins lifetime achievement award
- 13:13 Harry Redknapp's transfer warning to Birmingham City rivals
- 13:13 Reports: Birmingham City target to join Everton
- 13:12 Volvo's driverless cars 'confused' by kangaroos
- 13:12 Huge shoe find reveals what life was like for Romans in Northumberland
- 13:12 Calls for better training at Ayrshire Maternity Unit after six...