Sat-nav maps update aims to prevent stuck lorries
A multi-million pound sat-nav project aims to stop lorries and other vehicles getting stuck in narrow lanes and under low-lying bridges on UK routes.
Ordnance Survey is creating a database that will contain information about 200,000 miles (321,869km) of roadways to prevent such accidents.
The Transport Secretary Andrew Jones said the digital facility would launch before the end of the year.
But sat-nav makers will need to pay to get access to the full data.
"The new database will provide the sat-nav manufacturers with the ability to make journeys for HGV [heavy goods vehicle] drivers... read more
- 16:06 Chelsea's all-time England XI: Which current Blues stars make the cut?
- 16:05 Will Scotland beat Slovenia? Our writers make their predictions
- 16:05 Dundee star Craig Wighton admits it's time to turn on the magic and...
- 16:05 A smart and lively lad
- 16:05 Firefighters issue warning after tackling ten grass fires
- 16:04 Staffordshire veterans take over historic Lichfield army pub
- 16:03 TV station inadvertently shows hardcore porn instead of Islamic sermon
- 16:02 Jesse Lingard used to take dummy to training... while Chris...
- 16:02 Arsenal and Chelsea target Andrea Belotti insists he is 'definitely...
- 16:03 Erdogan setting back integration in Germany by years - Schaeuble
- 16:02 Alejandro Valverde wins Tour of Catalonia for second time following...
- 16:02 Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 70th goal for Portugal in win over...
- 16:02 Sergio Garcia tops his ball into lake at WGC Dell Match Play… so is...
- 16:02 England v Lithuania, World Cup 2018 qualifiers LIVE: Jermain Defoe...
- 16:01 The Cheryl and Liam story: A timeline from when they met to their...
- 16:01 Homes put people on the ladder
- 16:00 England v Lithuania: Line-ups and full team news confirmed as...
- 15:59 West Brom 3 Arsenal 1: The match Guochuan Lai finally saw Albion win!
- 15:59 Live updates: Man stabbed in Handsworth street, police hunt underway
- 15:58 Let’s Sing And Dance’s Mel Giedroyc leaves viewers in shock with...
- 15:58 Casualty cut free after crash on A5 near Oswestry
- 15:57 Roberto Mancini lays out conditions for taking over at Cetic
- 15:57 Is 79-year-old Eileen Clark Huddersfield Town's most loyal fan?
- 15:56 Woman who had sex in Domino’s ‘hoping for slap on the wrists’
- 15:55 Jose Mourinho eager to offload Man United man: Agents told star is...
- 15:55 Jurgen Klopp wants three Liverpool signings: Man Utd and Chelsea...
- 15:54 A drop of whisky in her tea every morning keeps Hilda, 100, young...
- 15:51 Police name two teenage boys found dead at North East cliffs
- 15:51 Wirral explosion victim "critical" in hospital
- 15:50 Police name two teenage boys found dead at North East cliffs