Sarkozy's hardline bet risks backfiring in French election
He is rousing crowds at campaign rallies with fiery speeches warning of the dangers of immigration while losing ground in opinion polls - Nicolas Sarkozy's law-and-order platform pleases core supporters but is backfiring with French voters.
The combative former president began a re-election bid in late August, stealing much of the limelight from rivals as he tapped into voters' concerns over Islamist attacks and Europe's refugee crisis.
Six weeks later, and with six weeks to go before the primaries that will decide who gets the conservatives' ticket for the April 2017 presidential election,... read more
- 13:06 15 well-paid, interesting and rewarding jobs in the West Midlands...
- 13:06 Birmingham City transfers: Watford join hunt for Swedish...
- 13:06 Heroin and cocaine seized in undercover police operation in South...
- 13:06 WWE superstar Brock Lesnar tipped to make shock return to UFC
- 13:06 Crystal Palace to complete signing of Premier League star this week
- 13:06 Morecambe Carnival bids for Red Arrows
- 13:05 Berwick team of ’67 are honoured at club’s 50th anniversary dinner
- 13:05 Harrow and Embleton top NN League tables
- 13:04 What have Barbie's boyfriend, One Direction and Strictly Come...
- 13:04 Letters - January 19, 2017
- 13:04 WATCH: Council apologises after road sweeper video goes viral
- 13:04 Teenager tells jury she had nightmares after allegedly being raped...
- 13:04 England scrum-half Ben Youngs backing Six Nations glory to support...
- 13:03 'Another poor signing!' How Birmingham City fans reacted to Diego...
- 13:03 Kings of Leon release EXTRA tickets for Birmingham concert - and...
- 13:03 These are the Birmingham branches HSBC plans to close
- 13:02 Is showering every day BAD for you? Cleaning with soap too often...
- 13:02 Update your iPhone software NOW: iOS 10.2.1 fixes 'devastating'...
- 13:02 Gruesome Roman skeleton is found with his tongue RIPPED out and...
- 13:02 Taylor hits late winner for Town
- 13:02 Beattie claims a creditable third place in his European outing
- 13:01 £2,000 bill after dead rats found in Halesowen pub cellar
- 13:01 Inquest opens on Ellie Underhill after Tesco car fall death
- 13:01 EasyJet shares tumble after £35m knock to finances
- 13:01 Dudley man in court over Winson Green prison riot
- 13:01 Search for suggestions to help save iconic Wolves church
- 13:01 Popular pub eyed up as new stop for Wolverhampton cabbies
- 13:00 HSBC to close 62 more branches this year
- 13:00 FTSE 100 rises as sterling slides
- 13:00 Manchester United set to create 300 new places for disabled fans in...