Samsung shares jump on shake-up proposal
Shares in Samsung Electronics have hit a record high after activist investor Elliott Management proposed a radical corporate shake-up.
The US hedge fund is urging the tech giant to streamline its business, which makes consumer electronics including smartphones and televisions.
It believes the restructure would put the world's largest smartphone maker on equal footing with its global rivals.
The news pushed up Samsung's shares by as much as 5% to a new record.
In a letter made public this week, the activist hedge fund said that the "unnecessarily complex" structure of the Samsung... read more
- 17:33 Germany's SPD confirm a dog will NOT get a chance to decide Angela...
- 17:33 Northamptonshire Shared Lives service for vulnerable adults rated...
- 17:31 Mount Brexit threatens to blow as May calls cabinet to Chequers
- 17:31 Carlisle takeaway boss fined after peanut allergy customer ended up...
- 17:31 Cumbrian school evacuated following oven "malfunction"
- 17:31 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge put some of the final touches to...
- 17:30 Talyllyn Railway marks locomotives' 100th birthday
- 17:30 Great Yarmouth Charter Academy bans 'McDonald's' hairstyle
- 17:30 Eating your way to a healthier life
- 17:28 Twitter bot purge prompts backlash
- 17:28 The Wolves view on the Aston Villa powershift
- 17:28 This is what Aston Villa cult hero Moustapha Salifou is doing now
- 17:27 My best photograph: Mars rover Curiosity's shot of the hill she'll...
- 17:27 Eating your way to a healthier life
- 17:26 Climbing Kilimanjaro for teenager who died after leukaemia battle
- 17:25 Climbing Kilimanjaro for teenager who died after leukaemia battle
- 17:24 Kate Middleton shows off her bump at BAFTAs 2018 in plunging green...
- 17:24 BAFTAs 2018: Actresses who IGNORED black dress code, including...
- 17:23 Brave woman who spent hours shaving 'freakish' body hair has...
- 17:23 American evangelist Billy Graham dies aged 99 after 70 years in the...
- 17:23 Gerry fired up by chemistry magazine feature
- 17:23 Business rallies to support MPM after fire
- 17:22 Young shopkeeper faces down raiders armed with brick
- 17:22 PNE ace Fisher pays price for yellow card
- 17:21 Spalding man Mitchell Ede wanted by police
- 17:21 Youth arrested after alleged assaults on teachers at University...
- 17:21 Young shopkeeper faces down raiders armed with brick
- 17:21 Changing the emphasis on university funding
- 17:21 The many tongues of Lost in Books, the only bookstore in Fairfield
- 17:21 Vice-chancellors told high pay is immoral amid rising student debt