Sam Allardyce’s candid take on the state of the England set-up showed why he’s the perfect man for the job
The Football Association are likely to take a dim view of Sam Allardyce’s views on third party ownership, but his assessment of the state of the England national team circus at least vindicated the governing body’s decision to appoint the former Sunderland boss as Roy Hodgson’s successor.
Allardyce will have woken this morning clinging to a job he has battled nearly two decades to secure, battling prejudice and misconceptions about his style of management.
MORE: Sam Allardyce Q+A... read more
- 13:29 Edinburgh’s Archangels syndicate takes top spot
- 13:29 Man City chief provides major update on Jorginho deal
- 13:29 Culture secretary urges BBC to appoint female Question Time host
- 13:29 Shamed MSP Mark McDonald 'should be suspended from Holyrood'
- 13:28 Mum's airing cupboard death 'devastated family'
- 13:28 Police car collides with bus in Newport, injuring 10
- 13:26 Anger in Cumbria at 'valueless' northern rail slur
- 13:25 Carlisle comes up trumps when it comes to clean air
- 13:25 Anger in Cumbria at 'valueless' northern rail slur
- 13:25 Dinosaur bones, shark teeth and crocodile armour at popular museum
- 13:25 Theresa May’s backdrop collapses again in Prime Ministerial...
- 13:25 Teen remanded over Wakefield city-centre stabbing
- 13:24 Top Grasmere chef proves he can handle the heat
- 13:24 A thief who struck at a shopping centre has been locked-up and...
- 13:23 Parents swap the suburban life for living on the open road in an...
- 13:23 'You can lose my suitcases but don't take my stroopwafel!' United...
- 13:23 Book review: The Blood Road, by Stuart MacBride
- 13:23 Book review: Assurances, by JO Morgan
- 13:23 Trader's €1bn deals voided after training platform mix-up
- 13:23 Nato chief says Trump-Putin meeting would not contradict policy
- 13:23 Iran's female football supporters make history at World Cup stadium...
- 13:23 Myrtle Allen obituary
- 13:23 Ulverston hailed as third best town in the country to live in
- 13:23 Ambulance crews get police award for work to try and save life of...
- 13:22 Measles cases are on the rise in Hull
- 13:22 Police record 86 cases of child grooming in Nottinghamshire in...
- 13:21 'The British Real Madrid ay we!' - Wolves fans react to that adidas...
- 13:21 Sophie Gradon's death sparks heartbroken tributes from Love Island...
- 13:21 Teen remanded over Wakefield city-centre stabbing
- 13:20 Aasma Day: Textspeak can leave parents off message