Sally Phillips: Do we really want a world without Down’s syndrome?
Sally Phillips and her husband, Andrew, didn’t find out that their first child, Olly, 12, had Down’s syndrome until he was 10 days old. Nobody noticed on the day he was born. “I had a caesarean because he was breech,” says Phillips. “I reacted badly to the anaesthetic so everyone was focused on me. Olly scored highly on all the tests and no one noticed there was anything different about him. I noticed. And I asked them to look at him. There was something about his eyes that was troubling me. It was as if his cheeks were really big and not allowing his eyes to open. I said, ‘Does he look... read more
- 19:37 West Ham 1-5 Arsenal hits and misses: Alexis Sanchez unplayable as...
- 19:37 Tories accuse Labour over Article 50 debate amendment plan
- 19:36 Final journey home for Brazilian football team killed in Colombia...
- 19:34 West Ham 1-5 Arsenal: Alexis Sanchez nets 14-minute hat-trick as...
- 19:33 High Sheriff helps charity mark 25 years
- 19:31 Arsenal fans label Alexis Sanchez the ‘perfect player’ after...
- 19:31 West Ham 1-5 Arsenal: Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez shine as...
- 19:29 BREAKING: Horror fire at warehouse nightclub leaves at least 40...
- 19:29 Stoke City keeper Jack Butland a cause for concern after latest...
- 19:26 Thierry Henry: Why Eden Hazard impressed me against Manchester City
- 19:25 Sweet treat for Hartlepool school’s support staff
- 19:25 Police appeal for witnesses after North East man dies in three...
- 19:22 Tamworth FC up to fourth as Briscoe double downs Altrincham
- 19:22 Eden Hazard: This was the key to Chelsea defeating Manchester City
- 19:19 Man knocked out by attacker in Corby
- 19:14 New sized bottle good for stocking filler
- 19:13 Driver, 93, dies after car hits tree
- 19:13 Have you seen missing Boldon woman Ann Stewart?
- 19:13 Caitlin jumping for joy with sponsors
- 19:11 Alan Shearer urges football abuse victims to come forward
- 19:09 Zinedine Zidane equals Jose Mourinho record with Real Madrid
- 19:06 Police appeal following Botchergate assault
- 19:06 Hundreds flock to town's Christmas festival
- 19:05 Manchester City footballer charged with drink driving
- 19:02 Ten pubs where you can enjoy a pint beside a cosy fire
- 19:02 Five Derby flats you could buy from as little as £79,000
- 19:02 Holidays 2017 - get 19 days away from work in a row by taking just...
- 18:56 Hull Old Town pubs ban Christmas jumpers but regulars say it's...
- 18:56 Benefits of daily aspirin outweigh risks
- 18:54 50s American Diner evacuated following fire in Church Gresley