Sainsbury's blames sales slip on falling food prices as it lags behind cheaper rivals
Sainsbury's ceded more ground to rivals Tesco and Morrisons as well as the budget stores after it today posted its second consecutive quarterly drop in like-for-like sales.
The UK's embattled supermarket group, which completed a £1.4billion deal with the owner of Argos earlier this month, saw like-for-like sales excluding fuel drop 1.1 per cent.
In the battle against the likes of Aldi and Lidl, Sainsbury's blamed falling food prices astotal sales at the supermarket fell by 0.4 per cent in the quarter. The poor showing puts a lot of pressure on the Argos deal to bring results.
Sales in... read more
- 10:29 Video: Full route for 2017 Tour de Yorkshire cycle race
- 10:28 City Hospital bosses should be ashamed over Archway of Tears...
- 10:28 QUIZ: Sweeter side of 'have cake and eat it'
- 10:28 Scientists say nuts to heart disease
- 10:28 QUIZ: Mark World Ninja Day by checking which keyboard warrior you are
- 10:28 New future for Birmingham's Axis building unveiled
- 10:27 Afghan migrant arrested after rape and murder of EU official’s...
- 10:26 Crash blocks off A151 in Lincolnshire town
- 10:25 Japan PM to visit Hawaii to remember Pearl Harbor victims with Obama
- 10:24 The best seats in the sky: Top 10 airline cabins for first,...
- 10:23 Greece can be competitive once makes reforms - Schaeuble
- 10:22 Bad Aibling train crash: German controller jailed
- 10:22 Bin set alight on Doncaster playground
- 10:22 Lorry catches alight on M1
- 10:22 Couple appeal for help to identify their dog's mystery illness
- 10:20 47-year-old man charged with maritime offence as man remains...
- 10:20 New study reveals lack of awareness from parents at spotting...
- 10:20 Horton’s Endoscopy unit opens after £2.7 million revamp
- 10:19 Swadlincote salon appeals for help raising money for community...
- 10:19 Find out the locations of speed cameras across Derbyshire this week
- 10:19 New study reveals lack of awareness from parents at spotting...
- 10:19 FEATURE: Case studies of exotic pets rescued by Ark Wildlife Park
- 10:18 Bank announces shock closure of 14 branches
- 10:17 This website will find you freelancers who’ll work for free
- 10:16 Man arrested following high street bank robbery
- 10:15 DEBATE: Should drug booths be set up in nightclubs?
- 10:15 ''I'll leave rubbish at Council House!' - anger at NO Derby bin...
- 10:14 Update 4.40pm: Man dies in road accident at Sibsey, near Boston
- 10:14 Platypus venom paves way to possible diabetes treatment
- 10:14 BMA calls for complete ban on smoking in vehicles