Safety warning after man and woman swept out to sea in 'horrendous' conditions
Members of the public are being warned of the dangers of drinking near the coast after two people were swept out to sea in the early hours of today.
Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade issued the warning after being called to Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, to the aid of a 19-year-old man and a woman, 21, who were reported to have been washed off the sea defences at the south end of Whitley Bay.
The Cullercoats RNLI Inshore Lifeboat was also paged. The call came at around 2.30am.
On arrival, crews found that both the man and the woman had managed to make their way back ashore, and were not in a... read more
- 10:44 LIVE: Brentford v Burton Albion build-up, Brewers search for first...
- 10:44 Pop stars send messages of condolence to Doncaster's Louis...
- 10:38 People are loving the story of 60-year-old Sue’s first ever...
- 10:38 Traffic warning due to A5 closure after lorry blaze
- 10:36 Defibrillator stolen from Market Drayton Football Club
- 10:34 Shop open for business after cash machine ripped from wall
- 10:34 Coyle pleased with Rovers’ good form
- 10:33 Firefighters battle car blaze as police launch investigation
- 10:33 Police’s Operation Cracker reaps results in fight against shoplifters
- 10:33 Police launch investigation after thieves target a van
- 10:29 Hark the herald - it’s time for Carols by Candlelight
- 10:28 Lincoln City to face Nantwich Town in FA Trophy first round
- 10:26 Police launch investigation after thieves target a van
- 10:24 First drive: 2017 Nissan X-Trail
- 10:23 Suspected car bomb kills two policemen at checkpoint near Somali...
- 10:21 Boots For Buddies appeal will ensure football is open to everyone
- 10:19 Red Dog Saloon given ONE star food hygiene rating
- 10:19 West Bridgford Dramatic Society's A Christmas Carol: Review
- 10:19 Celebrations as Ethel turns 103 today
- 10:18 ‘Large number’ affected by burst water main in Boston area
- 10:15 Marco Verratti believes Real Madrid and Barcelona would struggle in...
- 10:15 Hundreds of fish found dead at Sunderland lake which suffered...
- 10:15 Sunderland Echo poll shows u-turn on Brexit
- 10:14 Readers call for concert venue or swimming pool to be built at...
- 10:13 U.S. boosts Syria anti-IS forces, urges Gulf military self-reliance
- 10:12 Blind man ‘robbed of £450 after man snatches bank card at busy...
- 10:11 Recruitment firm gets neighbourly support
- 10:07 Police’s Operation Cracker reaps results in fight against shoplifters
- 10:07 Proposals for up to 70 new houses in Asfordby refused by Melton...
- 10:06 Beauty therapist wins £18k after unfair dismissal from Carlisle...