Safety warning after man and woman swept out to sea in 'horrendous' conditions
Members of the public are being warned of the dangers of drinking near the coast after two people were swept out to sea in the early hours of today.
Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade issued the warning after being called to Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, to the aid of a 19-year-old man and a woman, 21, who were reported to have been washed off the sea defences at the south end of Whitley Bay.
The Cullercoats RNLI Inshore Lifeboat was also paged. The call came at around 2.30am.
On arrival, crews found that both the man and the woman had managed to make their way back ashore, and were not in a... read more
- 11:21 No border to a good education
- 11:21 The Prince of Denmark comes to Duns Castle
- 11:21 Parkland survivor David Hogg aims to 'create the NRA – except for...
- 11:21 Couple obsessed with Boyzone member guilty of killing French nanny
- 11:20 Russian military downed flight MH17, say investigators
- 11:19 Firefighters called out to Tottington trees fire
- 11:18 COLUMN: Plan wisely for retirement and it could be one long holiday
- 11:17 Sheffield schools at 'tipping point', Prime Minister is told
- 11:15 Is Mohamed Salah fasting for Ramadan ahead of the Champions...
- 11:15 Roads closed after injured woman found near St Helens car park
- 11:13 Praise for lifeboat aid
- 11:12 Get in! Here’s some fab photos from a 2009 Hartlepool schools day...
- 11:12 Gadgets: 5 of the best projectors
- 11:12 Gardening: 5 of the best garden gnomes
- 11:11 Andrés Iniesta signs for Japanese club Vissel Kobe after leaving...
- 11:11 East Midlands businesswomen share the stories of their success at...
- 11:11 Kyle Edmund: Is he the new Andy Murray? Or just Tim Henman?
- 11:11 HEATWAVE: East Midlands set to bask in RECORD BREAKING Bank Holiday...
- 11:11 Is anyone really surprised that there’s now Meghan and Harry...
- 11:11 Are smartphones causing more teen suicides?
- 11:10 Charity ball for Headway Preston and Chorley is a success
- 11:10 Whitley Bay restaurant is cooking up a storm for TV show
- 11:10 Complex to hold open day to celebrate £1.2m refurbishment
- 11:10 Final preparations made for Whitley Bay Carnival
- 11:09 Children discover the delights of vegetarian food
- 11:08 SuperJosh volunteers take on 36-mile walk from Blackpool to Bury
- 11:06 Clitheroe twins are treasure hunt winners
- 11:06 Political football: NFL’s new anthem policy is a ‘victory for Trump’
- 11:06 VIDEO: St John the Baptist C of E Primary School Mexborough
- 11:05 Live exports regulator cries while describing conditions that led...