Russian diplomat rules out Estonian invasion amidst Cold War fears
Alexander Petrov claimed the possibility of Putin invading the state, which is home to 1.3million people, "seems and entirely unrealistic scenario."
Tensions between Moscow and the West escalated amid a dispute with Ukraine over Crimea, which Russia illegally annexed in 2014.
However, according to the diplomat, a coup took place in Ukraine and Russia protected Crimea from an external threat.
He said: "The people of Crimea chose their own path and stated their will in a referendum."
The UN declared a vote on the future of the region held in March 2014 completely invalid... read more
- 13:24 A gritty scene on the River Tyne in 1983 - see how the same...
- 13:22 Pakistan rejects U.S. sanctions against Kashmir militant
- 13:22 Man City refuse to enter bidding war for £40m Barcelona target...
- 13:21 Music fans warned time is running out to snap up priority tickets...
- 13:21 Sainsbury’s recalls sandwich fillers in food bug scare
- 13:21 Scores of jobs on offer at Experian - one of Nottingham's biggest...
- 13:21 Nintendo SNES Classic Mini announced - here's all you need to know
- 13:21 East Lindsey GP practices propose merger and launch consultation
- 13:21 Arts Council England backs Birmingham with £88m of new funding
- 13:21 Blue Oyster Cult at Rock City in Nottingham will be supported by...
- 13:21 Birmingham City midfielder completes move away from Blues
- 13:21 Top 10 things to see at Lichfield Festival 2017
- 13:21 YP Letters: Council out of touch with transport realities
- 13:21 YP Letters: Single market no barrier to global trade
- 13:21 Aston Martin RapidE to spearhead zero-emissions push
- 13:20 Yoga trapeze gets off to a flying start in Sheffield
- 13:19 Can you legally drive barefoot or in flip flops? This is the law
- 13:19 The cashpoint celebrates 50th birthday - here are 50 facts you need...
- 13:19 Monarchy to get big taxpayer pay rise - are they worth it?
- 13:19 Cristiano Ronaldo rethinks Real Madrid exit and Gareth Bale faces...
- 13:19 Police seek owners of items found at South Yorkshire service station
- 13:18 Airbus unveils futuristic helicopter which can fly 250mph - but is...
- 13:18 Drive My Bessa-carr and You Haxey Thing - Yorkshire water urges...
- 13:18 £6,000 donated to robot appeal to thank life-saving neurosurgeon
- 13:17 Burton Albion fans can buy their priority memberships from the club...
- 13:16 NHS staff celebrate after winning two national awards
- 13:16 Aberdeen complete Greg Stewart loan deal as Birmingham City striker...
- 13:16 Plunge in UK confidence hits Debenhams, adds to slowdown fears
- 13:16 How Man City player Aleksandar Kolarov has become the club's great...
- 13:15 UPDATE 1-Russia's Sistema faces $255 mln dividend shortfall - analysts