Russia to ramp up air strikes a year after joining
by James Tweedie
RUSSIA announced that it is sending more warplanes to Syria on the anniversary of its military intervention.
A military source said the planes were heading to Russia’s Hmeimim air base in Syria’s Lattakia province to bolster the existing force there.
Russia’s intervention last September halted the momentum of Islamic State (Isis), the al-Qaida-affiliated Nusra Front and the plethora of US-armed militant groups.
It led to the recapture of the ancient city of Palmyra from Isis and parts of east Aleppo that were surrounded by 5,000 insurgents.
On Thursday the US Senate foreign... read more
- 09:47 4G finally coming to Llangefni ... but your telly signal could be...
- 09:47 The Transport Talk column with Don Mackenzie
- 09:46 Hearts and Hibs derby dates revealed as 2017-18 Premiership...
- 09:46 Hamilton kick-off their league season at Pittodrie
- 09:46 EU nationals living in UK CAN stay after Brexit, Theresa May confirms
- 09:46 Airdrieonians and Albion Rovers face tough start to the League One...
- 09:44 Survey reveals Warwickshire adults lost £9 million to cyber crime
- 09:44 Disabled horse riding charity near Warwick to become new headquarters
- 09:44 VW waives appeal against German dieselgate compensation cases
- 09:43 When does Ramadan end and what is it? Everything you need to know...
- 09:42 Magical mystery tour challenge for pals
- 09:42 Devastated Leicester man explains how best friend died on mountain...
- 09:41 Rejoice, for you can now buy a £140 Prada paperclip with which to...
- 09:41 Why taking a summer time swim in a reservoir could cost you everything
- 09:40 Cheryl takes up private boxing lessons to keep fit following the...
- 09:40 Child rapist jailed for eight years
- 09:39 Skipper convinced of Finals Day presence
- 09:39 PICTURE: Car ends up on roof on busy Sheffield road
- 09:38 Update | Victim of attempted murder alive but still in a critical...
- 09:38 Folk hero who played her last ever gig in Northamptonshire is...
- 09:38 Barrow bakers knead one last push to hit fundraising goal
- 09:38 Video: Amazing footage of Knypersely Reservoir
- 09:38 Oil edges up, but still set for worst first half performance in 20...
- 09:37 Man Utd 2017/18 home kit images leaked online
- 09:36 PICTURE: Car ends up on roof on busy Sheffield road
- 09:35 Planning applications received by Harrogate Borough Council, week...
- 09:35 Birmingham City and John Terry: The story so far
- 09:35 Stand up if you love West Brom: Albion 'very keen' for safe standing
- 09:34 Dani Alves issues huge Manchester City hint after breaking silence...
- 09:34 The Transport Talk column with Don Mackenzie