Russia moving nuclear-capable missiles into Kaliningrad - U.S. intelligence official
Russia is moving nuclear-capable missiles into Kaliningrad, a tiny Russian enclave sitting between Poland and Lithuania, a U.S. intelligence official said Friday, confirming Estonian news reports.
Russia's reasons for shipping the 500-kilometer-range Iskander-M missiles to Kaliningrad "could be innocuous," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
"They moved a similar missile system to Kaliningrad in 2014 for a military exercise. It could also be a political gesture - a show of strength - to express displeasure with NATO," said the official.
(Reporting by... read more
- 17:26 BREAKING NEWS: Person hit by train at Doncaster railway station
- 17:26 Champions League final: Jurgen Klopp on Mohamed Salah, Cristiano...
- 17:26 Motorists face severe delays in Leeds city centre as police deal...
- 17:26 Enjoy the high life and live like a Rockstar in Lincolnshire's...
- 17:25 Dismembered body of dog found near Lancashire railway line
- 17:24 Ban for Millom woman who denied being three-and-a-half times over...
- 17:24 Rugby firm helps turn 2CV into world's smallest food truck
- 17:24 VIDEO AND PICTURES: Devastation left behind by travellers at...
- 17:24 Troubled shades, tangled triangles and shattering grief
- 17:23 New life breathed into prominent Chesterfield building
- 17:23 Tiny ‘rabbit hutch’ house in Cambridge sells for £280,000
- 17:21 Man, 95, held on suspicion of murder
- 17:20 VIDEO AND PICTURES: Devastation left behind by travellers at...
- 17:19 Solo: A Star Wars Story: is Alden Ehrenreich fit to fill the...
- 17:18 Battle to bring 'brilliant' radiotherapy services to south Cumbria
- 17:17 Incident at Leeds Armley Gyratory reportedly clear but motorists...
- 17:17 Sheffield Council CCTV camera locations revealed
- 17:16 CALDERDALE COUNCIL: New town centre hotel plan
- 17:16 Five French Open matches we’re desperate to see including Sharapova...
- 17:14 Man shot through taxi window by armed police
- 17:13 Bid to make Millom dementia-friendly as part of action week
- 17:13 'Flawed' UK Nursing regulator set to be hauled before parliamentary...
- 17:13 Carlisle hospital parking firm suspended by DVLA
- 17:13 New players wanted at Warwick Girls U9s
- 17:12 Sheep gets stuck on Norfolk river bridge...again
- 17:12 Bidding farewell to Spotty House and Knaresborough
- 17:11 Sunderland University's £5million-plus boost for North East...
- 17:11 Brazil short on basic goods as fuel strike grinds on
- 17:10 IN PICTURES: Celebrating Harry and Meghan’s special day
- 17:10 Does the Growth Commission boost the case for Scottish independence?