Russia and Qatar World Cups gave football 'opportunity to clean the game'
FIFA vice-president Victor Montagliani has suggested football might still be blighted by corruption if Russia and Qatar had not been chosen to host the next two World Cups.
Russia will host the next tournament in 2018 and Qatar the 2022 event, with both nations winning the right in a controversial vote almost six years ago.
Since the December 2010 awarding, corruption has been exposed in the global game, with then-FIFA president Sepp Blatter among those now banned.
Montagliani, speaking at the Leaders in Sport conference in London, said: "If Russia and Qatar wouldn't have got these... read more
- 16:43 Oil slide muddies inflation outlook, weighs on global stocks
- 16:43 ‘Road rage’ incident sparks respect call
- 16:41 Paraglider crashes on Cumbrian fell
- 16:39 What does Italy's Berlusconi like about Trump? His wife
- 16:39 Man jailed after trying to import child-like sex doll into UK...
- 16:39 Caravaggio takes Commonwealth Cup gold at Royal Ascot with...
- 16:39 Los Angeles police shoot at pit bill but kill teenager
- 16:39 Walkers raise cash for cancer trust
- 16:38 Why have our cars suddenly been covered in dust?
- 16:38 5 hidden tourist gems on Orkney
- 16:37 'You'll be back' judge tells convicted burglar who slammed...
- 16:36 Cuts are piling extra pressure on my exhausted officers, says West...
- 16:36 Wheelchair basketball player Harry Brown hoping for victory in...
- 16:35 Update: Two further arrests made in connection to Dalton axe assault
- 16:35 Sellafield firefighters vote for industrial action
- 16:35 Ulverston town councillor steps down due to 'too much politics'
- 16:34 Pupils and staff mark 50th anniversary of Princethorpe College
- 16:33 London Pride Parade 2017: Route, start and finish time, bus route...
- 16:33 Facebook to tackle online extremism and hate speech in new initiative
- 16:33 Man jailed after trying to import child-like sex doll into UK...
- 16:33 Europe faces Herculean challenge to develop new fighter jet
- 16:33 ‘He was my life’ - widow tributes to the ‘Cleveleys Cowboy’
- 16:32 Rangers and Celtic supporters clash over new Ibrox kit deal and...
- 16:32 Has hot newcomer Tyla turned Kem's attention away from Amber?
- 16:32 Sicily's cornered Mafia primed for reversal of fortune
- 16:32 Dean Gaffney gets road ban for refusing to say who drove his...
- 16:31 'I saw the fear in my mum's eyes': Daughter joins campaign for...
- 16:31 TrumpWatch: It’s all over for Ossoff
- 16:31 Cumbrian volunteers sought for migraine device trial
- 16:31 Plan for 22 homes in West Cumbrian village set to get go-ahead