RSPCA should be stripped of prosecution powers, say MPs
The RSPCA should be stripped of its powers to routinely prosecute animal welfare cases, according to MPs.
The Commons environment committee said there was a "conflict of interest" between the charity's power to prosecute and its role in investigating cases, campaigning and fundraising.
But the RSPCA defended its work and said the move was not supported by the government or animal welfare groups.
The government says it will consider the committee's recommendations.
The Environment, Food and Rural Affairs committee called on ministers to change the law concerning the RSPCA's... read more
- 10:19 Guardian recommends....things to do this week
- 10:19 One lane closed on M6 Northbound between junctions 27 and 28
- 10:18 Chelsea Christmas gifts perfect for Blues fans in 2016
- 10:18 SE Asia Stocks-Sluggish on lack of catalysts; Thailand gains on...
- 10:17 Keaton Jennings insists he feels 'very comfortable and very...
- 10:17 Do YOU trim your pubic hair? Then you're 80% more likely to have an...
- 10:17 Can an electricity-blasting gadget really beat your insomnia? From...
- 10:17 Tired drivers are four times the crash risk: Sleeping for only four...
- 10:17 So much for rise of the machines: Starship drone inventor is hiring...
- 10:17 Criminals are in for a shock as police are poised to get more...
- 10:17 Move over Tatooine: Incredible video shows THREE SUNS appear over...
- 10:17 X-Factor star Honey G to play live show in Sheffield tonight
- 10:17 The 'Shazam for faces': World's first facial recognition for...
- 10:17 PICTURES: Olaf greets visitors to the Lowedges Christmas market
- 10:17 British teenagers lag behind world's best in maths and reading tests
- 10:16 MOBO award winner to compose RSC score
- 10:15 FCA tightens rules for spread betting products
- 10:15 Pisa tests: Singapore top in global education rankings
- 10:15 Kiosks for clubbers to test quality of party drugs “could save lives”
- 10:15 Morecambe Arndale Centre’s Argos store to close
- 10:15 David Eatock: It was a part of my life I wanted to forget – I’d...
- 10:15 Inquest to take place after Barrow car park plunge
- 10:15 GLIDER TRAGEDY UPDATE: Eye witness says glider fell to the ground...
- 10:14 The five Premier League stars who scored the highest percentage of...
- 10:14 Dutch defender is wanted: Arsenal will locks horn with Man United...
- 10:13 Woman seen running from scene after attempted Knaresborough burglary
- 10:14 Arsenal star: Why beating Man United was a career highlight
- 10:13 Aldi to recruit dozens more staff across area
- 10:13 WATCH: Song for Christmas - Elland C of E Junior and Infant School
- 10:13 Police probe suspected arson attack in South Shields