RSPB unveil plan to extend reserve for barnacle geese
Conservationists have today launched an urgent appeal to help protect a key Scottish site for migrating geese.
Every year around 400,000 barnacle geese fly from their nesting grounds in Svalbard, Norway, to spend the winter on the Solway Firth.
A quarter of them settle at a 370-hectare nature reserve at Mersehead in Dumfries, which has been owned by RSPB Scotland for the past two decades.
Now the conservation charity plans to extend the site by a further 112 hectares to provide a bigger haven for the geese and other rare and important wildlife that call it home.
The extra land will link two... read more
- 13:47 Police investigate Annan fire
- 13:47 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to Arsenal: Borussia Dortmund slam Arsene...
- 13:47 EastEnders spoilers: Tamzin Outhwaite reveals how long she is...
- 13:46 Woman punched and kicked a man in pub after he allegedly provoked her
- 13:44 Barack Obama and wife Michelle share gushing messages on her birthday
- 13:44 Sheffield businessman charged over death of baby
- 13:44 Gazing across the Angus coastline
- 13:43 Sheffield businessman charged over death of baby
- 13:43 Elderly woman involved in Scarborough collision
- 13:43 Leeds pay-per-click company Circus makes charitable offer
- 13:43 Staff at Leeds-based NHS Digital hoping for IT awards success
- 13:42 BREAKING NEWS: Bomb disposal squad called to Northamptonshire...
- 13:42 Francis Ngannou was homeless four years ago and working in a sand...
- 13:39 Cumbria charity set for expansion to cope with continued demand
- 13:39 CODE RED STORM: Netherlands battered by 90mph winds leaving three dead
- 13:39 Park Hill golf club closes suddenly - all staff made redundant,...
- 13:39 Padiham's new-look gym officially opened
- 13:37 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd deal held up by final stumbling block as...
- 13:37 Water supply reconnected at Nottingham station after fire
- 13:36 These are the top 10 Volkwagen GTI models of all time
- 13:35 Movies and TRAILER: Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep on The Post
- 13:35 WATCH: All your Preston North End questions answered in our Q&A
- 13:35 H&M hires a diversity leader following the whole ‘racist’ monkey...
- 13:34 Jack Rodwell exit would lift Sunderland fans’ perpetual Blue Mondays
- 13:34 Leeds news: Samuel Saiz donates £25,000 as club reach Toby Nye...
- 13:34 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd: Arsenal star SAVAGED by legend ahead of...
- 13:34 Alexis Sanchez on brink of Man Utd move as shop prints No 7 shirts
- 13:34 What to do with your old £1 coins so you don't end up out of pocket
- 13:34 Seven million cars generate the same greenhouse gases as our...
- 13:34 Barnstorming laughs promised from rising comedy stars