RSPB unveil plan to extend reserve for barnacle geese
Conservationists have today launched an urgent appeal to help protect a key Scottish site for migrating geese.
Every year around 400,000 barnacle geese fly from their nesting grounds in Svalbard, Norway, to spend the winter on the Solway Firth.
A quarter of them settle at a 370-hectare nature reserve at Mersehead in Dumfries, which has been owned by RSPB Scotland for the past two decades.
Now the conservation charity plans to extend the site by a further 112 hectares to provide a bigger haven for the geese and other rare and important wildlife that call it home.
The extra land will link two... read more
- 11:44 Harry Redknapp: Why leaderless Arsenal need to sign Wayne Rooney
- 11:44 Motorway blocked after rush hour collision
- 11:43 Woman 'traumatised' after sex assault in Leeds
- 11:43 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:43 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:43 Storm Doris flights: Is your journey affected as the weather bomb...
- 11:40 Jeremy Hunt calls for investigation into overnight closure of...
- 11:40 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:40 Storm Doris leaves fallen trees blocking Boston roads
- 11:40 Derby County: Aston Villa's weekend opponents under the microscope
- 11:39 High winds cause speed restriction on Scarborough trains
- 11:39 Storm Doris: Can I claim compensation for a delayed flight?
- 11:39 ALERT: Public urged to unplug EXPLODING tumble dryers
- 11:39 VIDEO: The calm before Storm Doris
- 11:39 Frustrations increasing over travellers in Warwick
- 11:39 National Express raises free cash flow outlook on international demand
- 11:39 Eight dead and 20 injured after bombing in Pakistan shopping centre
- 11:39 Spanish club offers women free entry, drink & £85 if they go...
- 11:38 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”
- 11:38 Time extension for Pavilion Gardens marquee
- 11:38 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:38 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Health Column: Time to protest as Government is turning blind eye...
- 11:37 Router hacker suspect arrested at Luton Airport
- 11:37 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:37 Love a man in uniform? Not if you live in Burnley
- 11:37 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Burnley has been "misled and let down" by the Government
- 11:37 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:37 HS2 high-speed rail project passes final hurdle