Rosetta probe mission ends in comet crash
The Rosetta spacecraft has crash landed onto the surface of the distant comet it has been exploring for the past two years.
European Space Agency (Esa) controllers burst into applause when the crunch ending to the £1 billion mission was confirmed at 12.20pm, UK time.
Rosetta had already been lying in its lonely resting place 485 million miles away on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko for nearly an hour, because of the 40 minutes it took for radio signals travel to Earth.
A decision was taken to carry out the “controlled impact” because the comet is taking Rosetta so far from the Sun that soon... read more
- 13:29 Girl, 8, confirmed to have died in Ariana Grande Manchester...
- 13:29 Child abuser sent to prison for six years
- 13:30 Leeds set to extend Garry Monk's contract by a year as they enter...
- 13:30 Mum hits out at school bans on fidget spinners
- 13:29 Shock, anger, hurt... this was an evil act
- 13:29 Father who drove through the night is still searching for his...
- 13:29 Promise to keep our city moving
- 13:28 Rangers target Rashid Sumaila poised to come in from international...
- 13:28 Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos confirmed as dead in Manchester...
- 13:27 Doncaster sexual health and HIV services are moving near the town...
- 13:27 Canal Street roadworks get underway
- 13:27 Company climate risk disclosure could become mandatory in a few years
- 13:27 Book of condolence opens at Nottingham Cathedral for Manchester...
- 13:27 Mum hits out at school bans on fidget spinners
- 13:26 Preservation day aims to revive region’s threatened meadows
- 13:26 BREAKING NEWS: Two Northampton 20-year-olds killed in collision
- 13:26 Northampton mum issues warning to other parents after son is...
- 13:25 Man City player Leroy Sane to undergo operation
- 13:25 Manchester United Europa League final training squad revealed
- 13:24 Mum hits out at school bans on fidget spinners
- 13:24 Man, 23, held over Manchester terror attack which killed 22 and...
- 13:22 Four teenagers are arrested after 'nasty' attack on homeless man
- 13:22 Burglary suspect released
- 13:22 Just ACT to help counter terrorism
- 13:22 Sponsored walk is a step in right direction
- 13:23 Man, 23, held over Manchester terror attack which killed 22 and...
- 13:22 Action taken on dementia
- 13:23 School prays for bomb victim Georgina
- 13:22 Unexpected road closure
- 13:22 Cops smash drug empire of kingpin