Rooney or no Rooney, England are still bad
Three Lions lucky to leave Slovenia with a point in 0-0 draw
So, it turns out dropping Wayne Rooney isn’t the simple cure to England’s problems.
They run much deeper than that.
“We have taken over a mess, really,” interim manager Gareth Southgate said after seeing his team stutter to a scarcely deserved 0-0 draw against Slovenia in World Cup qualifying on Tuesday.
Southgate has been in charge for two weeks after coming in as an emergency replacement for Sam Allardyce and clearly understands the challenge facing him and the national team, which possibly reached an all-time low in losing to... read more
- 00:27 Unite steps in to save Labour’s struggling ‘Glastonbury’
- 00:25 The young Welsh Muslim women gaining confidence
- 00:22 Business groups write to PM urging Heathrow expansion
- 00:15 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:10 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp criticises Loris Karius for mistakes...
- 00:05 London to introduce contactless payment scheme for buskers
- 00:03 Barnaby Joyce and Vikki Campion reportedly sell story to Channel...
- 00:03 Liverpool comes together for the Champions League final but cup is...
- 00:01 Why cleaner seas can be bad news for birds
- 00:00 IPL final betting preview as Chennai Super Kings face...
- 23:54 Biggest Weekend shows the power of a singalong
- 23:53 Alan Bean, moon-walking astronaut and artist, dies aged 86
- 23:49 Joy for Canadian bagpiper charged over Sgian Dubh in sock
- 23:46 Auld Reekie ‘too posh’ for Old Kent Road
- 23:38 In search of lost manuscripts: essays reveal Proust’s love of...
- 23:36 Ukraine violence shows RT is dangerous, says SNP’s McDonald
- 23:36 Scottish Labour group backs vote on final Brexit deal
- 23:36 Alastair Ross: Seize the chance to save young drivers
- 23:36 Euan McColm: SNP reality check’s a great case for devolution
- 23:36 Independence blueprint ‘a hard sell’ warn radicals for Yes
- 23:32 Man charged with murder after death of Sheffield teenager
- 23:31 Charlatans threaten stem cell research with unproven cures, say...
- 23:28 Mohamed Salah given major boost with X-ray results on shoulder injury
- 23:26 Insight: What tips men over the edge of despair
- 23:22 Review: Isuzu D-Max Blade Double Cab Blade
- 23:20 Leader: Free prescriptions help better off at NHS expense
- 23:18 Dani Garavelli: Tragic legacy drags Ireland into modern world
- 23:17 ‘Scientific research’ behind launch of first Scottish Dry gin
- 23:15 A bitter pill: free paracetamol bill reaches £57m
- 23:11 92-year-old told to tear down beloved rose bushes for encroaching...