Rogue Newcastle Council officer sacked for falsely billing for work causing a £12.5m black hole
A rogue council officer who falsely billed for work totalling £12.5million has been sacked.
The officer, who worked in Newcastle City Council’s transport department, falsified documents over a 12-year period and charged for work that the council was never asked to do.
The rouse was rumbled in June when the unnamed officer was transferred to another department and a new member of staff realised what was going on.
The council launched an investigation and found that between 2003 and 2015 the officer had been adding money to the balance sheet by billing for projects, such as roadworks, that... read more
- 18:19 Christmas stock show at Louth’s Cattle Market
- 18:18 Three people trapped after car and van crash in Narborough Road
- 18:15 Crash between car and lorry causes traffic chaos in Hedon Road, Hull
- 18:15 Jessica Lawson WILL get her colourful memorial bench thanks to...
- 18:14 Flu outbreak closes Stockport high school for five days
- 18:13 Good turnout to Melton’s 2016 Fatstock Show
- 18:13 Strobe lighting provides a flicker of hope in the fight against...
- 18:08 Nottingham luxury handbag designer targets Selfridges with new brand
- 18:07 Manhunt sparked after convicted arsonist escapes from Sudbury prison
- 18:07 'Flashing light therapy' for Alzheimer's
- 18:06 Telford & Wrekin Council emergency meeting over A&E plans - updates
- 18:06 Tata commits to future in Port Talbot - saving 4,000 jobs
- 18:06 Chelsea legend: This is why Diego Costa is totally outperforming...
- 18:05 Here’s the moment an exhausted baby seal was found wadding a mile...
- 18:05 Tastes of the black stuff at Gosberton Winter Ale Festival
- 18:05 Burglars steal child’s quad bike from Moulton
- 18:04 Know your place, robots! Brain study from Google AI lab could help...
- 18:04 Incredible X-rays show how lithium-ion batteries explode: Gas...
- 18:04 Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund, UEFA Champions League LIVE: Follow...
- 18:04 Brendan Rodgers hoping respectable Champions League campaign...
- 18:04 UEFA Champions League scores: Tottenham v CSKA Moscow, Porto v...
- 18:03 Rape trial hears child 'did not make up evidence'
- 18:02 US STOCKS-Dow, S&P hit highs; Trump comment hammers drug stocks
- 18:02 Musk's SpaceX says rockets to remain grounded until January
- 17:59 Mansfield man faces drug dealing trial at crown court
- 17:58 City secondary school is "inadequate" says Ofsted
- 17:58 Edinburgh creatice agency launches Chrimojis pack
- 17:56 Four arrested on suspicion of intent to supply drugs in Sainsbury's...
- 17:53 Mansfield man faces drug dealing trial at crown court
- 17:53 Homeless man stole to buy food in Mansfield