Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk disputes alcohol guidelines, insisting 'beer IS good for you'
Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk has hit back at new government guidelines on booze - insisting beer IS good for you.
Earlier this year, the government’s most senior health advisor issued new guidance for men to drink no more than 14 units a week - equal to seven pints of beer.
Previously the limit for men was 21.
But the Rochdale MP has now challenged the advice of the country’s chief medical officer, Professor Dame Sally Davies.
Speaking in Parliament Mr Danczuk said there was evidence that moderate alcohol consumption can be good for you - and accused the government of ignoring studies into its... read more
- 18:14 Cannabis farm uncovered at remote Cumbrian bungalow
- 18:14 Man denies insurance fraud
- 18:13 'I had to quit my job and do something to help people': One woman's...
- 18:13 Ronda Rousey ran from fighting Holly Holm again in the UFC after...
- 18:13 Car crashes into houses
- 18:12 Sir Alex Ferguson: This is my biggest regret from 27 years at...
- 18:12 Wolves next manager odds: Marco Silva and Sam Allardyce lead the way
- 18:12 Tractor driver dies as vehicle leaves road and hits shed at airfield
- 18:11 Students ‘riot’ during ‘pi**y’ themed night out
- 18:10 Traffic delays expected on A6 in Derby during rush hour
- 18:10 Traditional tales kept children at Grange Street Infants' School in...
- 18:10 Vital work to take place at Chesterfield car park
- 18:10 VIDEO: Halloween ghost stories from a Nottinghamshire landmark
- 18:09 Morecambe dad’s £45K mission to fight MS
- 18:09 Teenager who vanished is found tied to a bed in his Dad’s basement...
- 18:09 Manchester United boss Mourinho says life in the city is 'a disaster'
- 18:09 Guardiola identifies how Man City can improve significantly
- 18:09 Manchester United defender Eric Bailly out injured for two months
- 18:08 Event at hall launches county career college
- 18:08 First pictures of Dreamworld accident victims as devastated mum...
- 18:08 Torpedo stuffed with £4.5m worth of 'Playboy' cocaine washes up on...
- 18:08 Two-car crash on A46 at Ratcliffe
- 18:08 New Wrexham AFC manager wants to see team climb the National League...
- 18:05 Gorre hits a hat-trick as Cobblers Reserves win nine-goal thriller...
- 18:05 Obese mothers are 'more likely to have children with ADHD, sleeping...
- 18:04 Gary Caldwell sacked by Wigan
- 18:03 HSBC defends Holmfirth branch closure
- 18:04 Marcus Rashford targets goal against Manchester City at Old Trafford
- 18:03 Hundreds say goodbye to Sair Inn landlord Ron Crabtree
- 18:02 VIDEO: The world’s first airbag for cyclists ‘already saving lives’