Road to stagnation? China Inc gets a break from lenders
Profits at roughly a quarter of Chinese companies in a Reuters analysis were too low in the first half of this year to cover their debt servicing obligations, as earnings languish and loan burdens increase.
Corporate China sits on $18 trillion (14.07 trillion pounds) in debt, equivalent to about 169 percent of China's GDP, but few firms reported feeling the heat.
Instead, lenders are heeding Beijing's call to support the real economy and so are rolling over company debt or granting repayment waivers, sometimes for years, specialist lawyers and investors said.
This is evidence that China may... read more
- 08:30 Four-way lights are installed at Telford's Shawbirch roundabout
- 08:29 PANTO REVIEW: Peter Pan, Mansfield Palace Theatre
- 08:29 Leyland bicep biter admits attacking relative
- 08:27 Plan for continental-style outdoor seating at tapas and cocktail bar
- 08:27 Social worker sacked and suspended after assault
- 08:27 Bill Jamieson: End of an era for UK income funds
- 08:26 Former mining community honoured with new Ray Lonsdale statue
- 08:26 Drivers warned to beware on icy North East roads
- 08:26 New study reveals lack of awareness from parents at spotting...
- 08:26 Pupils ‘must be taught British values’ claims Westminster review
- 08:25 Missing teenage girl has not been seen for almost a week
- 08:23 North East workers most optimistic about careers after Brexit,...
- 08:22 HK stocks hit 2-wk low on Italian "no" vote, muted response to...
- 08:21 BMW workers remotely lock stolen car – with the thief still inside it
- 08:20 North East workers most optimistic about careers after Brexit,...
- 08:20 Bells will be ringing out for Christmas...
- 08:20 WATCH: Sneak preview of Last Tango in Halifax Christmas special
- 08:19 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists his side do not have an...
- 08:18 Penarth neighbours create 'living' advent calendar
- 08:18 Barrow 'superstar' brothers up for festive prize in Christmas Star...
- 08:18 Storm Desmond - what happened
- 08:18 Early Christmas present for Barrow teenage girl with cerebral palsy...
- 08:18 Pledge to stop elderly patients leaving Barrow hospital in the dark
- 08:18 Choking Ulverston barman made to wait 50 minutes for an ambulance
- 08:17 RBS settles three claims over 2008 fund raising
- 08:16 Drivers warned to beware on icy North East roads
- 08:15 McDonald’s worker installed spy camera in the women’s toilets
- 08:15 British tour company worker stabbed to death in Finland
- 08:15 Fiver campaigner seeks bank of England meeting
- 08:14 UK health firm Cambian to sell adult services unit for 377 mln stg