Rise in number of households classed as 'homeless'
Homelessness in England has risen to its highest level for nearly 10 years.
A total of 15,170 households were classed as homeless in the three months to June 2016 - a jump of 10% on the same period last year.
Around a third of these are in London, according to new figures from the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG).
The last time a higher level was recorded in England was in the period April-June 2008, when 15,680 households were classed as homeless.
The figures also show that the number of households in temporary accommodation - as measured on June 30 2016 - was 73,120,... read more
- 09:35 Man arrested in West End murder investigation
- 09:35 Socket fire sparks evacuation of city centre tower block
- 09:35 Police investigate criminal damage at Barrow toy shop
- 09:34 Grantham school staff clock up the miles
- 09:33 Man Utd vs Chelsea: LIVE stream, TV channel, start time, team news,...
- 09:33 Arsenal stars look sharp in final training session before Carabao...
- 09:33 Lost cities of the world
- 09:33 Woman, 79, arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly man was...
- 09:33 Five things we learned: Preston North End 0-1 Ipswich Town
- 09:32 Prolific Newcastle bar burglar jailed once again for stealing from...
- 09:32 North East news LIVE: Latest breaking news, sport, weather, traffic...
- 09:31 'Potential killer' crashes into roundabout
- 09:30 Scotland’s style awards set to return to Glasgow
- 09:29 Hedgehog numbers have halved in the countryside
- 09:29 EastEnders spoilers: Jay Mitchell is viciously attacked by drug...
- 09:28 PT says her body will ‘never be the same again’ after giving birth
- 09:26 'It’s an act of war’ North Korea condemns US sanctions – warns...
- 09:26 Manager latest: Lee Clark in attendance as Hartlepool United's...
- 09:23 Dated 1930s house makes way for sensational self-build
- 09:23 Police continue crackdown on 'boy racers' at Chesterfield supermarket
- 09:21 These hidden driving licence codes could land you with a huge fine
- 09:18 Workington man who stole nine packs of gammon appears in court
- 09:18 Woman swears at judge as she storms out of court
- 09:15 The PNE fans' panel
- 09:14 Glenn Hoddle slams Jose Mourinho: ‘He’s holding Paul Pogba back!’
- 09:13 PSL 2018 Multan Sultans vs Islamabad United LIVE stream: How to...
- 09:13 Roger Federer: Robin Haase finally speaks out after Rotterdam Open...
- 09:13 Real Madrid news: Cristiano Ronaldo green lights transfer as...
- 09:13 Conor McGregor sends message to rivals ahead of UFC return: Come...
- 09:13 Barrow port staff urge community to help in Walney beach clean event