Rise in NI women seeking free abortions
There has been a 14% rise in women from Northern Ireland having free NHS abortions in England since charges were abolished by the government last June.
Some 553 women had had terminations in England in the past eight months, the two largest abortion providers told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme.
This compares with the 483 who had private abortions, costing them up to £1,400, over a similar period in 2016.
Northern Ireland's abortion laws are much stricter than the rest of the UK.
An abortion is allowed only if a woman's life is at risk or there is a serious or permanent risk to her... read more
- 13:49 Young girl critically injured following south Cumbria crash
- 13:47 We’re all going to need a giant unicorn sprinkler come summer*
- 13:47 What is catfishing and how can you spot it?
- 13:42 WEEKEND WEB: Uncovering history from the depths of the sea
- 13:42 Trump accuses Andrew McCabe of producing 'fake memos' of meetings
- 13:40 Roads are open but roads are still hazardous
- 13:39 Lady Dean of Thornton-le-Fylde obituary
- 13:36 First woman appointed in role at RAF Wittering
- 13:36 Roger Federer: Fitness concern revealed for Swiss legend ahead of...
- 13:35 Council slammed for ‘victim-blaming’ poster which suggests women...
- 13:35 Couple who claimed food poisoning at holiday resort caught out by...
- 13:32 Sunderland 0-2 Preston North End: Five things we learned
- 13:32 Pub bombings campaigner to speak at huge football supporter demo in...
- 13:31 SNOW UPDATE: Bus services still disrupted in Doncaster
- 13:30 Nintendo Switch games shock as new Pokemon news is revealed
- 13:30 Fortnite update: Jet pack release date could bring THIS big change...
- 13:30 Pensioners who wanted to pimp their zimmer frames had their wishes...
- 13:28 'Homer Simpson' pulled over by police in Milton Keynes
- 13:27 Jessie Wallace speaks of nerves ahead of return to EastEnders
- 13:26 Good news for little Kian Musgrove as scans reveal that his cancer...
- 13:25 Salisbury attack: How much of the UK's gas comes from Russia?
- 13:25 Barcelona news LIVE updates: Team vs Athletic Bilbao; Luis Suarez &...
- 13:24 Gritting and road repair crews doubled
- 13:24 Ceremony held to mark rebuilding of signal box in Deeping St James
- 13:23 Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis's secret rule will save you...
- 13:22 Wigan vs Southampton LIVE: FA Cup sixth round updates as Latics...
- 13:22 Premier League relegation odds: Which sides are favourites to drop...
- 13:22 Celebrities including Matt Terry and Rag'n'Bone Man flood to Alton...
- 13:18 First squadron takes to sky
- 13:17 James Rhodes: ‘I'd give £50,000 to anyone who could guarantee me a...