Ricky Hatton: Hurting your opponent is part of the sport. It’s a risk that all boxers take
The desire to hurt an opponent is an inherent part of boxing. A pugilist without the will to inflict damage is as much use as a cuts man wearing 14-ounce gloves.
Still, there has to be a line. One that Ricky Hatton, a self-confessed ‘nasty fighter’ who rarely took a backward step, would never wish to see crossed.
‘I was probably one of the most aggressive fighters there was,’ said Hatton, the former two-weight world champion catching himself mid-thought as he added: ‘I really wanted to… I was a nasty fighter, that’s what I’m saying.
‘But every boxer wants the same thing. You win the fight... read more
- 11:09 Istanbul memories for PNE star John Welsh
- 11:08 Grisly seaside murders to feature in new TV show
- 11:07 New mums urged to adopt ‘breast is best’ philosophy
- 11:07 Nottinghamshire police are appealing for help to find a missing man
- 11:06 9 reasons why you should ignore Noel Gallagher and visit...
- 11:04 Chart-toppers Steps to headline North East gig
- 11:04 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 11:03 Nottinghamshire police are appealing for help to find a missing man
- 10:59 Jam-packed line-up for second day of Ireby Festival
- 10:53 Justin Langer expects Australia to 'cop it' in England over...
- 10:52 Rescue team and a walker help guide a lost man to safety off the...
- 10:52 Glorious conditions forecast in Cumbria for bank holiday weekend
- 10:52 Man Utd transfer news: Raphael Varane wanted in shock swap deal for...
- 10:51 Boots accused of charging NHS over £3,000 for £93 cancer...
- 10:51 Why one of the royal wedding flower girls was missing a hair wreath...
- 10:51 Student flats destroyed after someone used disposable barbecue on roof
- 10:51 Key Salisbury site reopens to public 11 weeks after nerve agent attack
- 10:45 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 10:43 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 10:43 Stabbed at a neo-Nazi rally, called a criminal: how police targeted...
- 10:43 Is Ramadan easier in Nigeria than New York?
- 10:43 Spanish socialists file no-confidence motion against Mariano Rajoy
- 10:41 Glorious conditions forecast in Cumbria for bank holiday weekend
- 10:41 Keswick Convention revamp work set to start on pencil factory
- 10:41 Several volcanic earthquakes strike near Kilauea's summit as...
- 10:41 An Inspector Calls... The Pig in Devon is an idyllic countryside...
- 10:41 Such a dishy city! Searching for the perfect paella in Valencia -...
- 10:41 Summer sorted! Not yet booked? Don't panic - dreamy family villas...
- 10:39 ASOS makes the case for carrying your junk in a miniature bin
- 10:38 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run