REVEALED: More than 15 million workers now automatically enrolled into a pension scheme
The 15.1m number - from the Department of Work and Pensions - is an increase of 4.4m since the policy was launched in 2012.
Auto-enrolment – which will be fully rolled out by 2018 – has arrested the decline in pension saving over the past decade.
Recent analysis by the Institute for Fiscal Studies shows that between 2012 and 2015, 95 per cent of the rise in private sector membership was as a result of the policy.
In 2015, the annual total amount being saved by employees was £81.8bn, an increase of £1.4bn from 2014 and a further £7.1bn since 2012.
The latest analysis estimates there will be... read more
- 08:43 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:43 European shares led higher by telecoms, Unilever slump weighs
- 08:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:42 Person rescued from early morning house fire
- 08:42 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:41 Two Barrow teenagers banned from football for five years after...
- 08:41 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:41 Oscar nominee Isabelle Huppert 'nearly wasn't in Elle'
- 08:41 WW2 veteran fulfils wartime wish by turning 100 surrounded by...
- 08:41 Brian Wilson: Crunch time now for BBC Alba, a Scottish success story
- 08:41 Which pop stars deserve a blue plaque in their honour?
- 08:41 Donald Trump state visit will be debated in Parliament
- 08:41 Column: Decision must be made about college
- 08:40 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:40 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:39 Firefighters tackle car blaze near Ludlow
- 08:39 Video: Tadcaster whole again as Archbishop blesses bridge
- 08:39 Celebrate town, but don’t revert to stereotypes
- 08:39 Shooting victim named as Sheffield murder investigation continues
- 08:39 Out-of depth May in thrall to authoritarian Tory right
- 08:38 NHS IN CRISIS: GP numbers in England heading for a ‘cliff edge’
- 08:38 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:38 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:38 Cillian Murphy 'nicked' film director's crew for Peaky Blinders
- 08:38 Victim offers reward for recovery of stolen car
- 08:38 Birmingham hotter than Rome as hot air from Caribbean sweeps in
- 08:38 Sheffield shooting latest - what we know so far
- 08:38 Birmingham City Hall of Famer Roger Hynd passes away aged 75
- 08:37 Buying a property is still cheaper than renting but at £705 a month...
- 08:37 Star Wars 8 The Last Jedi: 'Luke wants Rey to kill Kylo Ren' in...