Restorers aim to get Glasgow’s last tram back on track
The last of Scotland’s original trams is being restored so it can carry passengers again during its 80th anniversary next year.
The “Coronation” tram, loved for its improved comfort and Art Deco elegance, was the final one in service when Glasgow’s network closed in 1962.
It took up the rear of the farewell tram procession which brought an estimated 250,000 people onto the city’s streets.
Number 1245 was used to shunt other trams being scrapped before it was sold the following year.
It is being refurbished by volunteers to run on a Scotland’s only heritage tramway, at the Summerlee Museum... read more
- 10:45 Design for Life: Natural settings belong to us all
- 10:44 Measles WARNING: Dr Chris urges parents to get children vaccinated...
- 10:44 What is World Thinking Day and what should I think about today?
- 10:44 REV RON GREENALL: Tall stories from Lancashire but always true
- 10:44 Don't strike the wrong note with musical antiques
- 10:44 Founder of Bitcoin cryptocurrency exchange BitFunder arrested...
- 10:44 North Korean cheerleader accidentally clapped during American...
- 10:44 Woman, 42, who complained of severe bloating discovers SURGICAL...
- 10:43 North Korean cheerleader filmed clapping for AMERICA at Winter...
- 10:43 Liam Gallagher attends same Brits party as the daughter he’s...
- 10:43 Erewash council push to privatise leisure centres criticised by Labour
- 10:42 Doncaster Voices: How important is town’s racecourse to economy?
- 10:41 Bombs continue to pound eastern Ghouta as UN pleads for ceasefire
- 10:41 Net migration of EU nationals to Britain falls by 75,000
- 10:41 MEPs call for power to tackle 'vexatious lawsuits' targeting...
- 10:41 McDonald’s is bringing ‘Rick and Morty Szechuan sauce’ back with 20...
- 10:41 Pound v US dollar: Sterling falls after surprise downwards revision...
- 10:41 Murder arrest after body is found on the M20
- 10:41 Sergio Ramos presented with special shirt by his team-mates after...
- 10:41 Blackpool: From the courts 22-02-18
- 10:41 Burton Albion among 72 EFL clubs set to vote on closing summer...
- 10:41 Manchester United dressing room 'had doubts' about David de Gea...
- 10:37 Sir Terence Conran designs exclusive bed frame for Bensons for Beds
- 10:41 REV RON GREENALL: Tall stories from Lancashire but always true
- 10:41 David Baddiel on comedy, books and the trouble with dad
- 10:41 Julie Elliott MP: Change in organ donation law will save lives
- 10:41 Dewsbury youth group provide crime-battling leaflet service
- 10:41 Man denied white powder was cocaine
- 10:41 “Pragmateer” Boles calls for Brexit “compromise”
- 10:37 East Northants food outlets highlighted for healthy eating options