Restoration work begins on historic aqueduct in Ashton-under-Lyne
Restoration work has began on a Grade II listed aqueduct in Ashton-under-Lyne.
The aqueduct, which carries the Peak Forest Canal over the River Tame, is being transformed as part of a £500,000 project being carried out by the Canal and River Trust.
Work will involved repairs to the three masonry arches, repainting stonework and reconstruction of the aqueduct parapet.
The structure has been vandalised in the past, while weeds and shrubs have encroached on it over the years.
Read More Man found guilty of murdering best friend after petty row spiralled out of control
It dates back to 1798 and... read more
- 10:31 New Dewsbury sessions to help learn more about World War One
- 10:30 Man sold drugs to pay off his own debt
- 10:30 A petition has been started to throw Scotland out of the UK
- 10:29 Nick Boles MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 10:29 BBC weatherman gets chilly with it for BYHP
- 10:29 MP Nick Boles ‘annoyed’ to be missing Grantham Hospital march on...
- 10:27 What good has come out of Brexit?
- 10:24 All the best dog costumes from this year’s Tompkins Square...
- 10:23 CCTV released after a man threatens Newcastle bookies staff with a...
- 10:23 Mother who gave birth after suffering 16 miscarriages reveals how...
- 10:23 South Yorkshire overnight arson attacks
- 10:23 Adomah v Adama: Did Aston Villa come up trumps?
- 10:23 Raddlebarn Road stabbing: 'What sort of world are our kids growing...
- 10:21 Aqeel Ahmed wins gold in Finland and urges Team GB selectors to...
- 10:21 East Kilbride Rugby Club boss calls for improvement as his side are...
- 10:21 Motherwell boxer Reece McFadden wins gold medal despite opponent...
- 10:21 WWE Universal champion Kevin Owens recalls epic title win ahead of...
- 10:21 UK mortgage approvals pick up from 19-month low - BBA
- 10:21 Pedestrian taken to hospital in air ambulance following collision...
- 10:20 Yobs throw bricks off M58 bridge shattering vehicles
- 10:20 Tory MP Nick Boles reveals new cancer fight
- 10:20 Ellesmere Port tourist attraction unveils rare restored boat
- 10:19 Majority of football fans would support gay players at their club,...
- 10:19 Louis van Gaal is my biggest influence says Thomas Muller, as...
- 10:19 Mel Morris spent his cash on Derby County, so now deserves loyalty
- 10:19 Why our council left a tip in the park
- 10:18 Reward offered for Louth dog missing for two months
- 10:18 Lloyds and Anto hit FTSE after results
- 10:17 Blackpool high in write-offs list
- 10:17 Two families fight to raise £50k to for two life-changing ops