Restoration of heroic Dunkirk ship underway in Sunderland
The restoration of one of the heroic “little ships” which rescued more than 200 British servicemen from Dunkirk has taken another step closer to completion in Sunderland.
Earlier this week leader of Sunderland City Council, Councillor Paul Watson nailed the final plank into place to complete the deck of “Willdora” - a Motor Fishing Vessel (MFV) designed to operate in rough seas as well as shallow waters and estuaries.
The vessel was built with two sister vessels in Scotland in 1901.
She was originally owned by a man called Will who had a wife, Marie and two daughters; Anne and Dora.
He... read more
- 08:31 Chelsea team predicted: Antonio Conte’s starting XI to face Everton
- 08:30 Philippine military says high-ranking Abu Sayyaf member killed
- 08:28 Berwick Community Trust chief reflects on twin town visit
- 08:28 Drones and fighting cyber crime make for good business inside the...
- 08:28 £4k boost for African trip
- 08:26 Joe Hart wants Manchester United transfer to prove Pep Guardiola wrong
- 08:25 China deports US 'spy' Sandy Phan-Gillis after conviction
- 08:24 Holme Valley stroke survivors tells their stories for Stroke...
- 08:24 Jane Bradley: Don’t make sport out of pregnancy
- 08:24 Stephen Jardine: I’ll try the vegetarian way in meat-free May
- 08:24 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 08:23 Man City boss Pep Guardiola 'to launch' £250m summer spending spree...
- 08:23 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho hints at Bastian...
- 08:23 Alpaca trekking in Fife
- 08:23 Missing Scunthorpe boy is found safe and well
- 08:22 Man in critical condition after being hit by a car in South Yorkshire
- 08:20 Jealous ex-boyfriend threw bottle of wine at window
- 08:20 FREE entry at Female Live this Sunday with fashion show, afternoon...
- 08:20 Grimsby driving instructor shifts gear and opens tanning salon with...
- 08:20 Pictures from Whitgift School prom nights 2010/2011
- 08:20 Grimsby Town boss Russell Slade sat down for a Q&A ahead of Barnet...
- 08:20 Grimsby Town boss Russell Slade 'draws up shortlist' of summer...
- 08:20 Banned driver caught on camera didn't know he was disqualified
- 08:20 The shocking toll - and cost - of domestic abuse in North East...
- 08:20 Ambulance workers could still go on strike after 'unacceptable'...
- 08:19 Shirley welcomed back to Belford
- 08:19 Glasgow City and Hibs bosses confident their players will be on top...
- 08:19 Celtic and Spartans both have cup glory firmly in their sights
- 08:19 ‘Help us to save our golf course’
- 08:19 Don’t panic, but you only have one week left to use your old paper...