Restaurants to get their just desserts in war on obesity
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt told food companies that as eating out "is no longer a treat" they needed to be part of reforms to reduce the nation's waistline, according to The Times.
He wants to encourage food outlets outside the home, such as big chain restaurants, takeaways and fast food retailers, to cut sugar and reduce the size of desserts, cakes and pastries.
Consumers will be able to check the companies' efforts on a website, although exactly how they will be compared has not been decided.
It comes alongside food producers being asked to cut sugar in key products by 20%... read more
- 11:39 Frustrations increasing over travellers in Warwick
- 11:39 National Express raises free cash flow outlook on international demand
- 11:39 Eight dead and 20 injured after bombing in Pakistan shopping centre
- 11:39 Spanish club offers women free entry, drink & £85 if they go...
- 11:38 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”
- 11:38 Time extension for Pavilion Gardens marquee
- 11:38 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:38 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Health Column: Time to protest as Government is turning blind eye...
- 11:37 Router hacker suspect arrested at Luton Airport
- 11:37 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:37 Love a man in uniform? Not if you live in Burnley
- 11:37 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Burnley has been "misled and let down" by the Government
- 11:37 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:37 HS2 high-speed rail project passes final hurdle
- 11:37 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:36 Brits are ditching their polite reputation to become excellent...
- 11:35 Police welfare a priority insist force bosses
- 11:36 EXCLUSIVE: Ronda Rousey has nothing to be ashamed of - Bellator...
- 11:35 If you’re having a crap morning, just look at these polar bear babies
- 11:35 Shadow Housing Minister’s pledge for more affordable homes in...
- 11:35 Wheelchair challenge to transform 20 lives
- 11:35 Bloomers come back bigger and better
- 11:35 Did you see Mickleover crash which left girl with broken left?
- 11:34 TAS plan follow-up to "amazing" Kenyan school visit
- 11:34 BAE Systems expects earnings boost from U.S. defence spending
- 11:34 UK shop sales rise but retailers worry about inflation - CBI
- 11:34 Skeleton of eight foot ‘serpent’ washes up in Cornwall
- 11:34 Woman facing jail for false rape allegations against her ex