Restaurants in Victoria Centre suffer significant losses as a result of 'suspicious package'
Restaurants in the intu Victoria Centre suffered significant losses and disruptions to service on Saturday evening following the discovery of a 'suspicious package'.
Police evacuated hundreds of shoppers from the centre at around 5.15pm, and cordoned off a large surrounding area.
A bomb disposal team joined police at the scene, but confirmed the package presented no threat to the public.
While most shops in the centre shut at 5:30pm, restaurants stay open much later, and as a result of the evacuation, incurred some significant financial losses.
Jon Bellamy, general manager of Coast to... read more
- 08:26 24-hour walk bid to aid Blind Veterans charity
- 08:26 Fears 14-year-olds could be targeted in Victoria's...
- 08:26 Trump set to head to Scotland for golf during state visit
- 08:25 Action over concerns about warm weather bringing in more town...
- 08:24 Harden's 30 help Rockets even series with Warriors at two games apiece
- 08:24 Australian gymnasts and staff to be trained to identify child abuse
- 08:24 Stolen car being hunted by Cumbria Police
- 08:23 Liverpool star should be LEFT OUT of Champions League final even if...
- 08:23 Action over concerns about warm weather bringing in more town...
- 08:23 World Cup 2018: England squad snapped training for first time with...
- 08:20 Nearly twice as many over-65s in employment than a decade ago,...
- 08:20 Board members at NHS Tayside to be tested for skills and experience...
- 08:20 Caglar Soyuncu suggests Arsenal transfer could be finalised within...
- 08:20 Mikel Arteta told he can replace Pep Guardiola at Manchester City
- 08:18 Two men stand trial charged with kidnap and rape during alleged...
- 08:17 Brian Monteith: Why SNP’s bid to restart independence debate is a joke
- 08:16 Brighouse crash involving stolen car leads to four arrests
- 08:16 Liverpool target Christian Pulisic opens up on Anfield transfer...
- 08:16 Arsenal news: Mikel Arteta ‘shocked’ after learning fate following...
- 08:15 24-hour walk bid to aid Blind Veterans charity
- 08:14 Police investigation after man dies at engineering factory
- 08:14 Yaya Toure refuses to rule out Manchester United move
- 08:14 Teenagers hunted over robbery outside Sheffield shop
- 08:13 Charity urges people to help protect community from drug gangs
- 08:13 Campaigners in court over NHS policy
- 08:12 Unai Emery to Arsenal: Claudio Ranieri predicts slow start for new...
- 08:12 Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez enquires about highly-rated Serie A...
- 08:10 Major road partially blocked in Fylde
- 08:10 SCHOOL FOCUS: Handsworth Grange Community Sports College
- 08:10 Huge police presence on Sheffield estate