Residents flee as Afghan troops battle Taliban in city of Kunduz
Thousands of residents have fled or face deteriorating conditions as fighting between Afghan forces and Taliban militants entered its third day in the embattled northern city of Kunduz, officials said on Wednesday.
Taliban fighters easily penetrated the city's defences on Monday, raising questions about the capacity of the Western-backed security forces, even as international donors meet in Brussels to approve billions of dollars in new development aid for Afghanistan.
"Most civilians have abandoned Kunduz city and have gone to neighbouring districts or provinces," said Kunduz... read more
- 11:34 Trading standards warn over illegally-imported puppies
- 11:34 Stabbing in Webster Street, Derby - our full report from the scene
- 11:34 Justice secretary praises our campaign calling for tougher...
- 11:34 Dramatic scenes as bungling car thieves crashed vehicle catches...
- 11:32 Film reviews: Hero or villain?
- 11:32 Bridge academies are falling down
- 11:32 The West’s policies towards Islamic countries backfire spectacularly
- 11:33 Christmas hair video tutorial: Here’s how to create a Christmas...
- 11:32 The elephant in the room
- 11:32 Hypocrisy over Saudi Arabia
- 11:32 World in brief: Friday December 9 2016
- 11:32 South Korea’s President Park faces impeachment charge
- 11:32 Assad: Winning Aleppo siege is a landmark moment
- 11:33 Campaign to build bridge over ‘danger bypass’ after accident
- 11:32 Southern strike is back on track
- 11:32 Anti-poverty group takes aim at CDC
- 11:32 Top judges wrap up Brexit hearing
- 11:32 Christmas comes early at South Tyneside’s newest visitor attraction
- 11:32 Justice secretary praises our campaign calling for tougher...
- 11:32 City centre Victorian church could be turned into bar or restaurant
- 11:32 Christmas message sent to supporters of policeman with cancer
- 11:32 Consultations to be held over closure of Wainfleet surgery
- 11:32 Police to contact MP Michelle Thomson over rape ordeal at 14
- 11:31 Web shoppers warned over Facebook Marketplace fraud
- 11:31 Coming together to share happy memories at Harrogate’s Light up a...
- 11:31 Louth man, 63, admits stealing cash from Jacksons Butchers
- 11:30 Greg Cunningham: exclusive PNE column
- 11:29 When Santa got stuck in the mineshaft
- 11:29 Tamworth ABC's Ryan Hatton is crowned national champion for the...
- 11:29 China: Xi calls for stricter ideological control of universities