'Regret' over women's pension changes
Thousands of women should have been given better notice that they must wait longer for their state pension, say two former pensions ministers.
Baroness Altmann, the minister until July, said that the way women born in the 1950s were told was "a massive failure in public policy".
She expressed regret for not helping them while in her government position.
Her predecessor as minister, Steve Webb, said it was "surprising that they were not given clearer information".
Age change Under the 1995 Pensions Act, the government decided that the pension ages of both men and women... read more
- 16:27 Hats the way to walk to school!
- 16:27 POLITICALLY SPEAKING: MP Jon Trickett on real-term funding cuts for...
- 16:26 Man City midfielder Yaya Toure could make another shock U-turn
- 16:26 BREAKING: Unitary proposals are submitted to central government
- 16:25 COLUMN: Defend the NHS - it’s all we have left, by Roy Bainton
- 16:25 BREAKING NEWS: Morrisons ordered to clean up former Bolsover...
- 16:25 Anthony Crolla keen to prove doubters wrong in Jorge Linares...
- 16:25 Fancy a job with a difference? Beamish is searching for someone to...
- 16:25 Beamish Museum searching for visionary to create 1950s world and...
- 16:24 Khalid Masood was 'shot by Defence Secretary Michael Fallon's armed...
- 16:24 The thousands of pounds in fines paid by Birmingham parents for...
- 16:24 Redundancies 'inevitable' as shoe retailer Brantano goes into...
- 16:24 Khalid Masood named as Birmingham terrorist behind London attack
- 16:24 Khalid Masood 'timed' London terror attack deliberately for...
- 16:24 Search called off for possible missing paraglider
- 16:24 White supremacist's church burns down in North Dakota
- 16:24 Over £11,000 raised by Muslim community in hours for London terror...
- 16:24 Earth Hour: What is it and how you can take part in the global event
- 16:23 Former GHA Coaches workers win compensation payout 'after losing...
- 16:23 Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather is disrespectful to boxing -...
- 16:23 Morecambe pub has licence suspended following drugs investigation
- 16:22 Stunning historic steam loco pays Lincoln flying visit
- 16:22 Parents can register for £2,000 Tax-Free Childcare Scheme from...
- 16:22 Why the hunt is on for the messiest bedroom in Coventry
- 16:22 Dear Reader: We need real affordable housing + my spell in A&E
- 16:20 Dear Reader: We need real affordable housing + my spell in A&E
- 16:19 Cable theft in Bardney
- 16:19 WIN! Family ticket to Gulliver’s Easter Extravaganza
- 16:19 Cost of finding temporary accommodation for homeless people going down
- 16:19 Nominate a first aid hero