News from Regional
Wales' top-earning locum doctor was paid £183,000 in 2015-16, according to new figures. Aneurin Bevan University Health Board had the highest and second highest-paid locum - at £159,000, BBC Wales learned via a Freedom of Information request. The total s
A legal loophole that allows minibus drivers to operate without undergoing a criminal record check is putting passengers in danger, councils say. Drivers of public carriage vehicles, which seat 9-16 people, are not subject to a criminal check - unlike ha
A man has been charged with murder after another man died following an assault at an immigration facility. The 64-year-old was assaulted at Colnbrook Immigration Removal Centre in Harmondsworth on Thursday. He was taken to hospital and died later that ni
Intensive care units for children in London have been told to stop treating all but the most urgent cases because of a lack of beds. An email from NHS regional director Will Huxter asked specialist units to delay any planned operations to free up space f
Investors in a £27m sports betting investment scheme which has now collapsed fear all their money will be lost if the authorities fail to act. The Winning Express, which was promoted by ex-Premiership footballers Steve Claridge and David Hirst, offered h
A vegetarian cafe is refusing to accept the new £5 note after it emerged the currency contains animal products. Sharon Meijland, owner of the Rainbow Cafe in Cambridge, has put up signs warning customers about the policy. There was outcry from some veget
Students are calling for "nap pods" at Edinburgh University in a bid to combat the problem of sleep deprivation. Pupils want two in their main library at George Square and two at King's Buildings. A student-led "think-tank", called...
A one-legged amateur footballer has been shortlisted for the Scottish Professional Football League's goal of the month. Dundee United fan Tommy McKay scored during a half-time challenge at Tannadice last month. The goal is featured in the SPFL facebook p
A basket of Christmas food has increased 14% on last year with the cost of many items from non-discount supermarkets rising above inflation. Analysis shows a typical list of 12 items would come to £64.25 to cater for six people. That works out at a cost
A Christmas-themed board game that pits Jesus against Santa has been described as "offensive, shocking and blasphemous". Santa vs Jesus, made by London company Komo Games, is played by two teams - one for each of the festive figures - who...
It's the time of year when Christmas trees go up, becoming the centrepiece of our family festivities. We will adorn their branches with twinkling lights and colourful baubles and place our lovingly wrapped gifts underneath. As such a focal point in our c
How many handwritten letters and personal postcards did you send this year to friends and family? How many have you received? We're in a world where billions will log on to social media and chat apps so they can communicate instantly with friends and fam
Exactly 40 years ago the Sex Pistols were due to begin a 19-date UK tour to promote their new single Anarchy in the UK. Today the tour is remembered as a key moment in music history - as much for what didn't happen as for what did. In the furore that fol
An airliner pilot suffered a heart attack as he taxied to the runway at Glasgow Airport. The captain of the KLM aircraft became unwell as he was about to leave for Amsterdam, in the Netherlands. He was resuscitated by the crew with the help of a passenge
An inquiry into child sex abuse claims involving ex-Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath is exploring a "significant number" of lines, police say. Wiltshire Police Chief Constable Mike Veale has defended Operation Conifer, insisting it is not a...
- 09:36 Old Dalby schoolchild Chloe’s fantastic fundraising efforts help...
- 09:35 Rip-off fears as Mastercard lets shoppers pay at till in...
- 09:35 Brexit has made Britons more interested in the economy - and...
- 09:35 What are trade agreements and why do we need them? Watch our...
- 09:34 Barrow residents to pay for 'green waste' collections
- 09:34 Weekend sexual health clinic in Barrow hospital closes after...
- 09:34 National headlines
- 09:34 Two seriously injured in A590 smash in Barrow
- 09:34 Traffic and travel news for Cumbria - Saturday December 3
- 09:32 India, Afghanistan plan air cargo link over Pakistan
- 09:31 Body of Long Eaton man James Nicholls pulled from sewage tank
- 09:30 Preferred candidate named in hunt for Lincolnshire’s new Chief...
- 09:29 Man killed in early-hours crash near Telford
- 09:29 Paul Pogba can be as good as Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and...
- 09:29 Reeves and Mortimer at Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall - review
- 09:25 Recognition for partnership tackling underage drinking
- 09:25 Morpeth woman jailed for involvement in murder
- 09:23 Hillsborough foes have traded places
- 09:23 Turkey hits back at EU over migrant deal collapse as it blasts 'you...
- 09:22 Unauthorised wearing of military medals could become a crime
- 09:21 China protests at Trump-Taiwan call
- 09:20 Concert violinist jailed for conning people out of £357,000 by...
- 09:20 Newcastle United duo set to miss Burton Albion trip after red cards...
- 09:16 Chinese mine disasters kill at least 38
- 09:15 Police forced to take mugshot with macaw who wouldn’t leave criminal
- 09:15 Fake injury claimants caught out after they were spotted playing...
- 09:14 DR MAX THE MIND DOCTOR: Faith can help when medicine fails...
- 09:13 Digital revamp for Carlisle fast food restaurant
- 09:13 Action group wants clear plan to protect Carlisle from more floods
- 09:12 The Chanel No. 5 perfume you know and love is at risk of...