News from Regional North East
Brits are being urged to check their new fivers after engraved bank notes worth as much as £50,000 were circulated in a Willie Wonka-style 'Golden Ticket' giveaway. Tiny portraits of Jane Austen have been added to four of the new £5 notes by talented mic
Sunderland will honour its Olympic and Paralympic heroes and heroines at a special ceremony next week. Mayor of Sunderland Coun Alan Emerson will present specially commissioned medals to the city's sporting representatives at a civic reception held in th
Schoolgirl Samaritans have been praised after pulling an elderly man from a busy road. The 85-year-old, who is almost blind and struggles to hear, was returning home from the shop for his 83-year-old wife when he stumbled. The fall, which left him with a
Officers searching for a man who has gone missing from his home are appealing for help to find him. Craig Rose, who is from the Felling area of Gateshead, has not been seen since Friday, December 2. The 28-year-old is around 5ft 9in tall, bald and was la
Two people are believed to have died in a house fire in Lucker. Emergency services were called out in the early hours of this morning. Police, fire service and ambulance attended and found a terraced house severely damaged by fire, next to the Apple Inn.
Primary school pupils have created a cracker of a Christmas track after enlisting the help of a Mercury Music Prize-nominated artist. David Brewis took a break from recording music with critically-acclaimed Sunderland band Field Music to produce Howletch
A council worker who stole more than £48,000 from a city in an electronic gadget scam has been ordered to pay back every penny or face going to jail. Administration employee Alison Tindle used a Sunderland City Council Vodaphone account to buy £48,012 wo
Picture shows shocking injuries suffered by aunt of Sunderland murder victim Nikki Allan after street attack
The mother of murdered schoolgirl Nikki Allan has spoken of the moment she feared her sister had been killed. Sharon Henderson's sister Joan Mann was attacked in the early hours of Sunday. She was returning from a night out at The Oddfellow's Arms, near
A student nightline advisor who denies raping a drunken woman had previously played the part of an accused sex attacker in training for his role, a court has heard. Alistair Cooke, 22, who studied geography at Durham University, is accused of following t
A speeding driver who had taken cocaine has been jailed for three years for crashing into a pensioner on a mobility scoter - causing him ‘life changing’ injuries. Anthony Flounders, aged 69, was thrown into the air by the force of the impact after 31-yea
Shoppers hoping to bag top names at a cut price are being warned not to be tricked into buying counterfeit cosmetics which could contain toxic chemicals or rat faeces. Durham County Council’s consumer protection service has issued the warning having rece
Being happy, healthy and having well-behaved children are the true signs of success - far ahead of being rich, according to new research. A survey of 2,000 UK adults also found just three in 10 have some kind of plan in place to actually achieve success.
Hartlepool’s bereavement service is appealing for help to raise £10,000 to address a growing demand from families affected by suicide. The organisation, which helps about 200 people a year, says it is seeing an increasing workload related to the issue in
This Morning’s Dr Chris Steele took a break from the hit show to open a charity headquarters named after East Boldon agony aunt Denise Robertson. The beloved broadcaster, who was born in Sunderland, became a champion for a number of charities before she
Two incidents of suspected hare coursing have been reported to Borders police. Police revealed that on the morning of Thursday, December 1, a white Ford Transit van with the registration number BN07 HPZ and containing three males and dogs was seen on far
- 18:20 Mum's shock as SECOND new baby makes entrance in hospital car park
- 18:20 Your used stamps can be used to help fight against cancer
- 18:19 Christmas stock show at Louth’s Cattle Market
- 18:18 Three people trapped after car and van crash in Narborough Road
- 18:15 Crash between car and lorry causes traffic chaos in Hedon Road, Hull
- 18:15 Jessica Lawson WILL get her colourful memorial bench thanks to...
- 18:14 Flu outbreak closes Stockport high school for five days
- 18:13 Good turnout to Melton’s 2016 Fatstock Show
- 18:13 Strobe lighting provides a flicker of hope in the fight against...
- 18:08 Nottingham luxury handbag designer targets Selfridges with new brand
- 18:07 Manhunt sparked after convicted arsonist escapes from Sudbury prison
- 18:07 'Flashing light therapy' for Alzheimer's
- 18:06 Telford & Wrekin Council emergency meeting over A&E plans - updates
- 18:06 Tata commits to future in Port Talbot - saving 4,000 jobs
- 18:06 Chelsea legend: This is why Diego Costa is totally outperforming...
- 18:05 Here’s the moment an exhausted baby seal was found wadding a mile...
- 18:05 Tastes of the black stuff at Gosberton Winter Ale Festival
- 18:05 Burglars steal child’s quad bike from Moulton
- 18:04 Know your place, robots! Brain study from Google AI lab could help...
- 18:04 Incredible X-rays show how lithium-ion batteries explode: Gas...
- 18:04 Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund, UEFA Champions League LIVE: Follow...
- 18:04 Brendan Rodgers hoping respectable Champions League campaign...
- 18:04 UEFA Champions League scores: Tottenham v CSKA Moscow, Porto v...
- 18:03 Rape trial hears child 'did not make up evidence'
- 18:02 US STOCKS-Dow, S&P hit highs; Trump comment hammers drug stocks
- 18:02 Musk's SpaceX says rockets to remain grounded until January
- 17:59 Mansfield man faces drug dealing trial at crown court
- 17:58 City secondary school is "inadequate" says Ofsted
- 17:58 Edinburgh creatice agency launches Chrimojis pack
- 17:56 Four arrested on suspicion of intent to supply drugs in Sainsbury's...