News from Regional North East
Hartlepool United boss Craig Hignett has leaped to the defence of under-fire defender Toto Nsiala. The big DR Congo international has taken some criticism this week after a below par defensive show at Carlisle last week. Nsiala was slow to react to the r
0 Have your say Head outside one evening this weekend and you may well see the annual Orionids Meteor Shower in the night sky. Gaze upwards and – if the weather remains clear – you’ll be treated to up to 25 shooting stars an hour as the Earth intersects
The ambulance teams that worked on some of this year’s most tragic call-outs have been recognised for going above and beyond the call of duty. The North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) has unveiled its shortlist of ambulance heroes who have gone above and
A Berwick pub is still on track to re-open next month despite some setbacks. The Brown Bear is set to re-open as a community-based social enterprise on November 24. Some of those who initially helped drive the project forward have dropped out due to dema
What is it that encourages us to read, especially fiction? Well, in my case, it was certainly not my parents. Late in my school career, I discovered a life-long love of novels. Encouraged by this, my mother gave only one piece of advice: “Don’t read Thom
Parents went back to school to take a peak at its state-of-the-art facilities. Bedlingtonshire Community High School invited families of both current and prospective pupils to an open evening earlier this month to see what it has to offer. Headteacher St
Three of South Tyneside’s prettiest places have been put on the ‘at risk’ list by a campaign group. Conservation Areas in Whitburn, Cleadon and East Boldon have been added to the Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register, which was published today. Th
A teenage weightlifter has been crowned Junior World Powerlifting Champion, becoming the first British athlete to take the title. Daniel Sherman, from Blyth, took the decisive victory in the 74kg division at the World Powerlifting Championships in Szczyr
The video will start in 8s Cancel Click to play Tap to play The Live Event you are trying to watch is either unavailable or has not started Please refresh this page in your browser to reload this live event video You might reasonably expect to find milk
A bogus dad is behind bars after posing as the father of an illegal immigrant’s baby so the Nigerian mum could escape deportation. Anthony Ezekpo, from Winlaton, Gateshead tried to hoodwink immigration officials with the plot. The 44-year-old was paid £1
0 Have your say The £1.2m saving NHS Borders hoped to make on its prescription budget for 2016-17 looks likely to be achieved. A report to its health And social care integration joint board this week indicated that despite cost pressures, the savings sho
The widow of a much-loved father is continuing to boost the funds of a South Tyneside charity in his memory through a range of fundraising endeavours. Helen Mackerill has made it her mission to support St Clare’s Hospice in memory of her husband Paul, wh
There are some weird and wonderful sights on Google Street View, especially on Teesside. From stunning scenery around the world to a shoplifter running from Savers in Middlesbrough. And it turns out that there are some really great pictures of Teesside o
A nautical charity that provided invaluable support both afloat and ashore at the recent Blyth Tall Ship’s Regatta has been praised by the town’s Harbour Master. Members of the Northumbria and Humber Maritime Volunteer Service (MVS) units joined together
0 Have your say The team at the Morpeth branch of Hays Travel organised a fund-raising event, which included a raffle, bingo, buffet and disco, and it raised £701 for Toby Henderson Trust – a charity supporting children with autism and their families. Th
- 14:34 Cyclist's appeal after lorry 'forced her off road and left her for...
- 14:34 Greenock Morton 0 Aberdeen 2 as Dons end Hampden hoodoo to book...
- 14:32 Bournemouth 0-0 Tottenham: Visitors miss chance to go top of the...
- 14:32 Hartlepool United boss Craig Hignett defends Toto Nsiala after...
- 14:30 Schoolgirl beaten up by thug - as onlookers watch on
- 14:30 Town in shock as tributes paid to greengrocer killed in A16 crash
- 14:29 Walking the Lights for cancer care
- 14:29 New start for theatre school after closure threat
- 14:29 Derby County's Chris Powell and Punjabi Rams in Show Racism the Red...
- 14:29 Meet the parents who turned around the life of four-year-old Hannah
- 14:28 The methods at Liverpool FC stem from a winner, it's not gimmicks
- 14:28 Afghan Taliban envoys in Pakistan to discuss possible peace talks -...
- 14:27 Travel plan alert as ScotRail improvement works begin
- 14:26 Grantham Journal letter: It was a pleasure to share the pitch with...
- 14:26 Bob Dylan's Nobel silence 'impolite and arrogant'
- 14:23 Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson wins prestigious award...
- 14:20 Lib Dems urge MSPs to back pardons for gay men
- 14:20 Prostitution rampant in Goa as idyllic holiday destination is...
- 14:20 Midwife admits she ‘wishes she was dead’ in shocking open letter
- 14:20 Children place teddy bears placed outside Downing Street...
- 14:19 Film view: A look at the latest films to hit cinemas in the UK this...
- 14:19 Hose lottery draw results
- 14:19 Orionids Meteor Shower: How to see this weekend’s spectacle
- 14:18 Ambulance teams that worked on some of year's most tragic call-outs...
- 14:17 'Save Top Field' - Barton residents sign petition opposing major...
- 14:16 Border country’s role in shaping a literary giant
- 14:16 Brown Bear pub refurbishment set to start with a bang
- 14:14 Mopping the floor and cooking bacon leads to British Empire Medal...
- 14:13 Pep Guardiola defiant as he faces prospect of his equal-worst run...
- 14:13 Tributes continue for Anthony Foley ahead of Munster's Champions...