Receptionists 'put people off seeing doctor'
Receptionists quizzing patients about why they need to see their GP could be putting some sick people off visiting their surgery, a survey suggests.
Of almost 2,000 adults questioned for Cancer Research UK, four in 10 said they disliked having to discuss their ills with office staff in order to get an appointment.
Many were worried about making a fuss.
Experts say patients must be forceful and not take no for an answer if they have symptoms that need investigating.
The government says it is funding training to help receptionists learn how to be sensitive to patients' needs.
Probing... read more
- 15:35 Mauricio Pochettino slams refereeing decisions in Arsenal’s north...
- 15:35 The VC hero turned down FOUR times - because of a 'weak heart'
- 15:35 Barrow alcoholic denies threatening neighbour
- 15:34 Polish lorry driver in court after Carlisle death crash
- 15:34 Parrots spotted 'living wild' in Doncaster suburb
- 15:34 PICTURES: How the joy of shoes is helping this Sheffield mum...
- 15:33 Bomb squad called to Duffield street after discovery of 'WW2...
- 15:32 Football fans snap up Bradley Lowery Sunderland shirt
- 15:31 Youngstars: Ella Jackson recognised for her golfing talent by...
- 15:32 Boozed-up man must pay £305 after damaging hospital door
- 15:31 Youngstars: High Tunstall U13s make last 16 of the national ESFA...
- 15:31 Youngstars: Hartlepool’s Table tennis star Joe Cope scoops gold for...
- 15:31 Hartlepool United- Aldershot Town: Jake Cassidy starts for Pools
- 15:31 Football fans snap up Bradley Lowery Sunderland shirt
- 15:31 Manchester United U23s 1-1 Man City EDS highlights as James Wilson...
- 15:31 Boozed-up man must pay £305 after damaging hospital door
- 15:30 How the meticulous work of Celtic scout David Moss and the x-factor...
- 15:29 Football fans snap up Bradley Lowery Sunderland shirt
- 15:28 Boozed-up man must pay £305 after damaging hospital door
- 15:28 Chris Tarrant: 'I had the worst holiday at THIS popular destination'
- 15:28 You will be upgraded on all flights if you have this specific kind...
- 15:27 Free hedge-laying course in the Countess of Chester Country Park
- 15:27 Lost explorer Benedict Allen ‘never gave up’ on seeing his...
- 15:26 Arsene Wenger explains why it could be impossible for Arsenal to...
- 15:25 Lessons about shared history
- 15:25 John Terry shows his commitment to Aston Villa - even when he is...
- 15:25 Semi professional footballer tried to rob taxi driver at knifepoint
- 15:24 'Serious' fire alarm fault fixed as Blackpool school set to reopen
- 15:24 Details announced for Christmas lights switch-on celebration
- 15:24 The Yorkshire Post says: What Yorkshire needs from the Budget