Rebel Wilson: Court slashes actress's record defamation payout
A magazine publisher has successfully appealed against the size of a record defamation payout awarded to actress Rebel Wilson in Australia.
Last year Wilson won a case against publisher Bauer Media over articles that she said had wrongly portrayed her as a serial liar.
A court had ordered Bauer to pay her A$4.5m (£2.7m; $3.6m) - a record for an Australian defamation case.
On Thursday, the Supreme Court of Victoria reduced the sum to A$600,000.
The size of the original payout had generated discussion in Australia over whether it could stifle future journalism that is in the public interest.... read more
- 16:37 Patients deaths linked to failings in care, report reveals
- 16:37 Hunt for sex attacker who raped tourist, 22, near Trafalgar Square
- 16:37 Birmingham buildings take step closer to Stirling Prize
- 16:37 'My escape from the hell of North Korea' - Bury-based refugee...
- 16:36 Fire breaks out at car window tinting business
- 16:36 Confusion reigns over fate of detained migrant children
- 16:36 The return of the Blackpool Belle and the story behind the song
- 16:36 Bank holiday if home nation reaches World Cup final
- 16:35 High Peak Magic Circle gets ready for Buxton Festival Fringe
- 16:35 Shooting gets underway on new film at Hartlepool's Headland
- 16:32 Five of the best dog-friendly hotels in Scotland
- 16:31 Car overturns in crash on busy south Liverpool road
- 16:31 Drug cops on the trail of 'dangerous' MMA star who could be in Dubai
- 16:31 Carlsberg factory worked died ‘almost instantly’ after ammonia gas...
- 16:31 Harborough Energy co-operative launches crowdfunding initiative
- 16:29 Whitehaven crash between car and scooter causes long tailbacks
- 16:26 How to get cheap tickets at the Edinburgh Festival and Fringe
- 16:26 Trying to be tech savvy
- 16:24 Nick Kyrgios puts on serving masterclass to take Kyle Edmund out...
- 16:24 Irrfan Khan: Bollywood actor flooded with support after cancer letter
- 16:24 Philadelphia Phillies fan injured by flying hot dog launched by...
- 16:24 What does womp womp mean? What Corey Lewandowski said on the US...
- 16:22 Police concern for woman missing from Sutton
- 16:21 Adolf Hitler’s Nazi cutlery goes on sale for £1,000
- 16:21 Here’s where you can seek support if you have learning disabilities
- 16:21 Family’s plea to legalise medicinal cannabis for their epileptic son
- 16:20 Alzheimer's link to herpes virus in brain, say scientists
- 16:20 Warning issued over bogus recycling bins
- 16:20 See what changes have been made at Coventry Airport
- 16:20 Arsenal news: Unai Emery names five 'untouchable' players to build...