RBS squeezed struggling businesses to boost profits, leak reveals
Royal Bank of Scotland secretly tried to profit from struggling businesses, leaked documents show.
The bank bought up assets cheaply from failing businesses it claimed to be helping, the confidential files reveal.
Staff could boost their bonuses by finding firms which could be squeezed in what it called a "dash for cash".
RBS said it had let some small business customers down in the past but denied it deliberately caused them to fail.
The cache of documents, passed by a whistleblower to BuzzFeed News and BBC Newsnight, support controversial allegations in a report three years ago... read more
- 00:44 Gillian Burke 'horrified to be blamed for Springwatch team break-up'
- 00:44 Miranda Hart's 'short notice' departure led to Call The...
- 00:44 Jasmine waltzes out of CBB in shock eviction
- 00:44 Poor transport links to services 'hurting rural communities'
- 00:44 Craig David and Tinie Tempah among acts for War Child Brits Week
- 00:42 Trainer Harry Fry considers Cheltenham options for American after...
- 00:37 Leeds 2023 culture bid team is hoping for a helping hand (or two)...
- 00:37 'Holy smokes that is a dinosaur!' Enormous gator nicknamed Humpback...
- 00:36 UK businesses wary about investment on Brexit doubts: survey
- 00:33 Simon Mignolet: Why I believe I can be Jurgen Klopp's No1...
- 00:33 Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Paul Pogba can deal with the pressure on his...
- 00:33 Everton star Tom Davies: Why I owe my first goal to Ronald Koeman...
- 00:33 Pep Guardiola is not the only one at fault for the mess at...
- 00:29 Tory Tribunal Fees are Giving Britain’s Worst Bosses a Free Ride
- 00:28 The successful women embracing ‘girl power’
- 00:28 Can your voice reveal whether you have an illness?
- 00:28 Christian Dior boss: Fashion success through reinvention
- 00:25 100 women: 'Why I fought being banished to a hut during my period'
- 00:25 OPEC sees market stability in 2017, Venezuela aims for $70 price
- 00:25 Sherlock and Doctor Who: 9 times their worlds collided
- 00:24 Former Man United, Bayern Munich and Barcelona boss Louis Van Gaal...
- 00:23 Man jailed for South Ribble thefts
- 00:23 When fast food gets an Indian twist
- 00:22 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Tuesday
- 00:22 Chinese president to defend globalization in Davos
- 00:21 Soaring toll of NHS patients harmed as doctors prescribe the WRONG...
- 00:21 Can an ear implant help restore hearing in thousands of people? New...
- 00:20 Deutsche Boerse-LSE merger make markets healthier: Blackrock
- 00:20 Germany shivers in new wind blowing from US
- 00:19 Dazzling Mold Bronze Age treasure shines on new stamp