RBS fine fears weigh on share sale
Concerns RBS may be fined between $5bn (£4bn) and $12bn in the US are preventing the government from selling shares in the bank, MPs have heard.
RBS faces a settlement with the US Justice Department over claims it mis-sold toxic mortgage securities in the run-up to the financial crisis of 2008.
The size of that fine is weighing on the value of the bank, said James Leigh-Pemberton, the head of the body that manages the public's stake in RBS.
RBS was unavailable for comment.
Mr Leigh-Pemberton, the chairman of UK Financial Investments, told MPs that financial markets had speculated on the... read more
- 06:49 Teenager assaulted in Daventry park
- 06:49 'Pathalogical' hate of Carlisle man fuels threats from young mum
- 06:47 Heather Watson stuns 18th seed Sam Stosur to earn shock Australian...
- 06:47 Liverpool ready to chance it with Joel Matip: Kop star could play...
- 06:46 Smash causes traffic delays on A19 in Sunderland
- 06:46 Pictures as hundreds turn out to bid farewell to Amber Rose Cliff
- 06:46 Man arrested in connection with Sunderland petrol station robbery
- 06:46 Can you help Madison get a new wheelchair?
- 06:42 Former Blackhall chimney sweep’s latest bus pass challenge is...
- 06:42 $esc.html($content.name)
- 06:42 Hartlepool Rovers coach steps down following poor league run
- 06:40 Italian firm creating 100 jobs in North Staffs has now bought...
- 06:40 700 residents back campaign for Blurton crossing after OAP's death
- 06:37 North East news LIVE: Latest breaking news, sport, weather, traffic...
- 06:37 New Year's Eve reveller ordered to pay £1,000 compensation after...
- 06:37 Protestors to gather in Birmingham against Trump's inauguration
- 06:37 The shameful surge in child cruelty in Birmingham
- 06:37 Revealed: People in West Midlands pay more income tax than the...
- 06:36 Twisted Scottish coach to be booted out Australia after tricking...
- 06:36 UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan 17
- 06:36 South Korean prosecutor says to question Park by early February
- 06:34 Ilona Amos: Steps must be taken to slash toxic fumes and save lives
- 06:34 Rafael Nadal bags straight sets victory over Florian Mayer to move...
- 06:34 Kyle Edmund powers into the second round with 6-2, 7-5, 6-3 victory...
- 06:34 Jamie Carragher reveals why Tottenham can catch Chelsea in the...
- 06:34 Presentation for Northumberland man
- 06:34 Carroll, Mkhitaryan, Giroud, Payet? Jamie Carragher picks his goal...
- 06:34 Latest funding for our roads and potholes revealed
- 06:33 NI election: PM and Taoiseach urge politicians to be 'respectful'
- 06:33 Thierry Henry: This Liverpool star is Jurgen Klopp’s favourite player