Rates shake-up may be a borough boost
An overhaul of the business rates system could prove to be good news for both Wigan firms and the town hall, according to estimates.
The government released on Friday details of its plans to “ensure fairer bills for businesses”, the first revamp since 2008.
Estimates suggest North West towns could see an 11 per cent drop on average whereas London will see an 11 per cent rise.
The move is part of wider reforms which will see local authorities rely more heavily on locally collected rates instead of government grants.
Speaking to the Evening Post, deputy chief executive Paul McKevitt suggested... read more
- 14:51 Woman assaulted in broad daylight near Grimsby footbridge
- 14:51 PSA unveils new DS7 Crossback sport utility vehicle
- 14:51 Free-range eggs become ‘barn eggs’ following bird flu
- 14:51 UK insurer Aviva to take 385 million pounds charge after discount...
- 14:51 Rise in people being arrested in Northamptonshire for downloading...
- 14:50 Travel chaos: Birmingham Airport passengers to face WEEKS of...
- 14:50 Chelsea legend John Terry named ‘most loyal’ player in the...
- 14:50 Zinedine Zidane hits back after constant questions about Alvaro...
- 14:50 Massimiliano Allegri tells friends he’s leaving Juventus for Arsenal
- 14:50 Philip Green agrees to pay £363m into BHS pension fund
- 14:50 Simon Says 2017 festival line up announced
- 14:49 Rapist ripped woman’s face from her skull during horrific attack
- 14:48 Chairman Judy hosts gala night of Bourne talent
- 14:48 Bridge open to traffic again – but another closure announced
- 14:48 Woodseats nursery celebrates outstanding Ofsted
- 14:48 Grieving relatives of the Tunisia attack to sue tour operator
- 14:48 Wasps hit record £17m turnover in latest accounts - but still make...
- 14:47 Rangi Chase: Castleford drop star and launch internal investigation
- 14:47 Philip Green ‘pays out £363m’ to pensioners at collapsed BHS
- 14:47 Which new venues have been nominated in the Nottinghamshire Food...
- 14:46 Juventus boss Massimo Allegri has revealed he will be the next...
- 14:46 Wonder Woman news: Gal Gadot cosies up to Patty Jenkins as she...
- 14:46 MP branches out to launch plan to keep Valley green and flood free
- 14:46 RSNO to perform Indiana Jones score at Edinburgh film festival
- 14:45 Markets on edge fearing Donald Trump speech to Congress could spark...
- 14:45 Doncaster Coronation Street and Britain's Got Talent star lands...
- 14:45 Mums are WAY more likely to be in charge of family money than dads
- 14:45 Four ways the USA can get rid of Donald Trump
- 14:45 These are the slang words and emojis parents don't know the...
- 14:45 This is what the new £1 coin, £10 note and £20 note look like