Rare group of children are IMMUNE to AIDS, scientists reveal - as US researchers claim they are 'on the cusp of a cure for HIV'
A rare group of children is immune to AIDS, scientists believe.
The 170 boys and girls in South Africa are known as 'non-progressors'.
They were all born with HIV, after being infected in the womb, and still have extremely high levels of the disease in their blood.
But they are completely healthy.
Most importantly, their infection has not made the natural progression to AIDS - and doctors believe it never will, even without antiretroviral (ART) drugs.
WHY ARE THESE KIDS RESISTANT TO AIDS? Scientists have identified a group of 170 'non-progressors' in South Africa.
The children are all aged... read more
- 10:50 Shocking moment people are forced to drag burning motorbikes away...
- 10:49 Live: Megan Bannister manslaughter case hears more evidence as...
- 10:49 APPEAL: Woman suffers chest injuries after M65 crash
- 10:49 The jobs market is ‘strong’ in Spalding
- 10:49 Students given ideas for careers in Long Sutton
- 10:48 Barcelona news: Mesut Ozil demands bumper signing-on fee to quit...
- 10:48 David Cassidy net worth revealed after Partridge Family star’s...
- 10:48 #FreeCyntoiaBrown: Kim Kardashian and Rihanna call for release of...
- 10:48 Trevor Sinclair in drink-drive and police assault charges
- 10:47 Ellesmere Port's twin town group plans festive German themed evening
- 10:47 ‘Unsustainable’ Banbury doctors’ surgery could close under changes
- 10:46 Aerial photos show congestion-free Derby ring road in late 1970s
- 10:46 Rhyl-Leeds pitch battle 'set to be investigated by Welsh FA'
- 10:45 Chelsea will exploit Liverpool’s weaknesses, Reds should be worried...
- 10:45 Lewis Hamilton reveals key to 2017 success - I don't know why we...
- 10:45 Where are this year's Christmas markets in Lancashire?
- 10:44 Loose Women CANCELLED: ITV show won't air today - here's why
- 10:44 LATEST: Another strike by thousands of Sellafield workers announced...
- 10:43 THIS is the real reason Jack Maynard was kicked out of I'm A Celebrity
- 10:43 Live updates of Autumn Budget 2017 and how it will affect Hull
- 10:43 Swan brings traffic to standstill during chaotic scenes in Tamworth
- 10:42 Black Friday 2017 Nintendo Switch update: BAD NEWS for fans waiting...
- 10:42 Rally deaths could have been avoided
- 10:42 The Full Monty for NHS staff
- 10:42 Where are this year's Christmas markets in Lancashire?
- 10:42 MP learns benefits of export finance
- 10:41 Where are this year's Christmas markets in Lancashire?
- 10:41 Blackpool's enterprise week was 'the best ever'
- 10:41 Fylde coast link in major Scottish health firm deal
- 10:40 Morrisons is selling a massive four litre bottle of Jim Beam for...