Rare group of children are IMMUNE to AIDS, scientists reveal - as US researchers claim they are 'on the cusp of a cure for HIV'
A rare group of children is immune to AIDS, scientists believe.
The 170 boys and girls in South Africa are known as 'non-progressors'.
They were all born with HIV, after being infected in the womb, and still have extremely high levels of the disease in their blood.
But they are completely healthy.
Most importantly, their infection has not made the natural progression to AIDS - and doctors believe it never will, even without antiretroviral (ART) drugs.
WHY ARE THESE KIDS RESISTANT TO AIDS? Scientists have identified a group of 170 'non-progressors' in South Africa.
The children are all aged... read more
- 14:27 50 Judo students make the grade
- 14:25 Readers most want better roads for Coventry, according to our survey
- 14:25 Muslim man offers free hugs in response to Manchester terror attack
- 14:24 Stroke of fortune for the Lions’ swimmers
- 14:24 Yemen cholera death toll rises, but number of infections drop - WHO
- 14:23 Kagiso Rabada tears England apart despite Jonny Bairstow resistance
- 14:23 Court round-up: Grantham area defendants in court
- 14:22 Cops arrest 13-year-old over gang attack that left man with serious...
- 14:22 Cambridge American Cemetery photo appeal for US war dead
- 14:21 COLUMN: Good news for Doncaster patients as GPs are either good or...
- 14:21 Amazon launches 40 new channels
- 14:21 Sheffield taxi drivers and mosques denounce Manchester terror...
- 14:20 What a difference an 85-week clean-up operation makes! 5,000 TONNES...
- 14:20 How to maintain your lawn this summer
- 14:18 Spain arrests 14 on suspicion of making, selling...
- 14:18 Kenwick Park GC seniors earn Waltham stalemate
- 14:17 Tributes continue for North East victims of terror attack as MI5...
- 14:17 Confused ASOS customers are receiving half-opened packets of Polos...
- 14:16 Hamerton Zoo Park evacuated over ongoing incident
- 14:15 EU ministers agree car approval rules after dieselgate
- 14:15 Ireland must make call on AIB IPO in next 10 days -minister
- 14:15 Cheshire Oaks host of fun events for half-term
- 14:15 Manchester attack victim Nell Jones's family say their 'hearts have...
- 14:15 Your pig-ugly pugs and grotesque guinea pigs could be TV stars
- 14:15 No escalation of security at East Midlands Airport following...
- 14:15 Look what happened at the secret beach near Birmingham when the sun...
- 14:14 How to maintain your lawn this summer
- 14:13 Eamonn Holmes SQUIRMS as Ruth Langsford is appalled after he FAILS...
- 14:13 Stapleford 'dying on its feet' as petition launched to save 18 bus...
- 14:12 Joe Hart: Man City star makes announcement about future - but which...