Rape case dropped against MP
An MP accused of rape in Lancashire dating back 10 years said he is “relieved” that the case against him has been dropped.
Simon Danczuk, who was suspended by the Labour Party, described the investigation by Lancashire Police as an “immensely stressful period for me and my family”.
The Crown Prosecution Service said no further action should be taken against the Rochdale MP because of “insufficient evidence”.
Mr Danczuk said he now hopes to have the Labour whip restored “as soon as possible”.
In a statement, he said: “I am grateful for the decision made by the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service)... read more
- 08:18 Gareth Southgate says England were the better side against Germany
- 08:18 Majority of women feel embarrassed breastfeeding in front of...
- 08:18 Adnan Januzaj: Move from Man United not been easy, but I’m fitter,...
- 08:17 LATEST: Seven arrested over London terror attack
- 08:17 Police in West Yorkshire ramp up patrols in wake of Westminster...
- 08:17 Coalition to push company tax changes without splitting off small...
- 08:16 Every Premier League captain ranked: Who has had the biggest impact...
- 08:16 Spain boss Julen Lopetegui reveals what he really thinks of Chelsea...
- 08:16 Derbyshire drugs gang jailed for more than 17 years
- 08:16 Sam Jones 'loving' his time at Grimsby Town – and isn't giving up...
- 08:16 Grimsby Town new stadium: Marcus Bignot wants club to be in League...
- 08:16 Lukas Podolski: This is why Arsene Wenger is irreplaceable
- 08:15 Water may flow from Buxton well once again
- 08:14 'Terrorist attack' leaves Notts MPs in Parliament lock-down
- 08:14 Where can I buy a Red Nose for Comic Relief 2017? Shops stocking...
- 08:14 Made In Chelsea’s Toff posts extraordinary live tweets from inside...
- 08:14 Seven arrested in police raids after Westminster atrocity
- 08:14 Stephen Belafonte in public meltdown at LA restaurant over divorce...
- 08:13 Bed company launches competition to find the messiest bedroom in...
- 08:13 N’Golo Kante heaps praise on ‘exceptional’ Kylian Mbappe
- 08:13 SNEAK PEEK: What’s inside this week’s Ripley and Heanor News?
- 08:13 Ideas for how to treat mum this Mother’s Day in Derbyshire
- 08:13 Fire at restaurant closes main road through Alfreton
- 08:13 Derbyshire drugs gang jailed for more than 17 years
- 08:13 Owner of dog that bit jogger denies it was dangerously out of control
- 08:13 Firefighters tackle ‘large’ building blaze
- 08:13 Latest Chesterfield magistrates’ court results
- 08:12 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features - March 23
- 08:12 In-store sales at Next PLC are down with more tough times ahead
- 08:10 BEFORE THE BENCH: Cases due to be heard at magistrates' court in...