Rape allegations recorded by police double since 2012
The number of alleged rapes recorded by police has more than doubled in less than four years, figures show.
A spike in reports of sexual offences has been seen following high-profile investigations including Operation Yewtree, which was launched in 2012 in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.
Forces in England and Wales logged 35,798 alleged rape offences in the year to the end of March 2016 - a 124% increase compared to the 16,012 recorded in the 12 months ending in December 2012.
The figures were cited in 42 local area digests which are published by the Rape Monitoring Group and draw... read more
- 10:46 5 reasons Toronto should be your next city break
- 10:45 Thousands of runners take to the streets for Leicester Marathon
- 10:44 Afghanistan opium production up 43% - UN drugs watchdog
- 10:43 Snorers saved from stroke risk thanks to a heart umbrella: Doctors...
- 10:43 Suzanne Evans announces she will stand for Ukip leadership
- 10:40 Missing mother could be potential murder witness
- 10:39 Hull City woeful in defeat to Stoke City - the player ratings
- 10:39 Police officer killed, 10 people wounded in bomb in east Turkey -...
- 10:39 Shane Sutton: Nothing to hide for Brailsford, Wiggins or British...
- 10:38 Stand-off between man with ‘hazardous items’ and police in Northolt...
- 10:36 Scunthorpe Hospital staff throw stunning ball - pictures
- 10:36 Tai Woffinden secures silver medal in Australia
- 10:36 Scunthorpe United always looked in control against Chesterfield:...
- 10:35 Firefighters tackle blaze at Lake District hotel
- 10:35 Burghley Park Cricket Club needs a new groundsman for 2017 season
- 10:33 BMA urges helpline for patients addicted to prescription drugs
- 10:32 Thousands of tree packs available to Grantham schools and community...
- 10:30 BMA urges helpline for patients addicted to prescription drugs
- 10:28 Jose Mourinho admits 'special one' status dependent on Manchester...
- 10:28 Bus thief jailed after leaving three-mile trail of destruction
- 10:27 PHOTO GALLERY: Day ap-peals to all as hundreds head to Gunby
- 10:24 X Factor host Dermot O'Leary lends support to campaign to find...
- 10:24 Justin Thomas overturns four-shot deficit to successfully defend...
- 10:23 St Mary's Creative Space in Chester unveil next two shows at city...
- 10:23 Cadets chosen to work alongside Lord Lieutenant of Rutland
- 10:23 Reformer Club of the Week: Kihonkai Karate Club
- 10:22 Liverpool University chief says city MUST stay open to...
- 10:19 Tumble dryer caused Eckington blaze
- 10:19 Why you think Derbyshire café Tyme Coffee Lounge was right about...
- 10:18 Second independence referendum unlikely 'any time soon', says...