Rail improvements can help secure the East Midlands as global force
For years, the Midland Mainline was dubbed the "Cinderella" railway – a nice way of saying it hadn't seen much investment compared to other UK routes.
But a £1.3 billion overhaul of the East Midlands' rail network, announced in 2012, meant both the region and the line – which runs from Sheffield to London via Market Harborough, Leicester and Loughborough – were finally off to the ball.
A number of projects have since begun under the investment programme.
Some are completed – the transformations of Leicester, Derby, and Nottingham stations, for example.
Others have faced delays –... read more
- 11:33 Hearts boss Craig Levein admits Jambos have a plan B in case...
- 11:33 Valuable role of chaplaincy is highlighted
- 11:33 VIDEO: Lincolnshire Trading Standards officers film video guide on...
- 11:33 First World War talk at Belford Museum
- 11:33 Clyde shipyard workers ‘betrayed’ over frigate order
- 11:33 Amazing moment Hull trucker turns up to work and wins £20k an Audi
- 11:32 The Book of Dust reviews: Philip Pullman is BACK with His Dark...
- 11:32 Woman robbed of handbag and mobile phone in Northampton town centre
- 11:31 Mayor tells Adelphi Hotel: Join Liverpool city centre square revamp...
- 11:31 Novelty contact lenses 'can cause sight loss'
- 11:31 Families and friends celebrate Amazon Doncaster’s new team
- 11:31 Kenilworth residents can learn first aid for free after Lions...
- 11:30 Sunderland police launch safety campaign for dark nights
- 11:30 Let’s sing the praises of these charity champions
- 11:29 Majority polled say bus replacement timetables are unrealistic
- 11:28 Rio Olympics head Carlos Nuzman charged with corruption
- 11:28 Could you make a child's dream come true during National Adoption...
- 11:28 Kids clamber on Cherry Valley factory as concern grows that...
- 11:28 Preston Hockey Club’s struggles continue at home
- 11:28 Foster care abuse victims urged to speak out after ruling
- 11:27 Doncaster pupils put on harvest performance
- 11:27 Notts man arrested by armed police after incident in Derby
- 11:27 Nigel Clough expects Nottingham Forest response after Derby County...
- 11:26 Family pays tribute after primary school teacher dies in A15 crash
- 11:26 Doncaster pupils put on harvest performance
- 11:25 Grantham hospital campaign group to present film about the NHS
- 11:25 Colleagues take on three peak challenge for Warwickshire charity
- 11:25 The two-year-old girl paralysed by painful arthritis: Mother...
- 11:25 Rise of the randy pensioners: One in five OAPS believe they have...
- 11:24 Tory MPs ask Jeremy Corbyn to clarify Labour's no deal Brexit position